Finally, an affordable CD Transport: the Shigaclone story

I just tried a Nichicon FW 1000uF 25V in the output of the 7808. The oscillation was there once again, so it s probably an artifact. I need to clean my test bench a bit and retest...

By the way, after hearing the transport with the Nichicon FW, it took me about 2 songs and less than 2 minutes to throw it out the window and re-install the Panasonic FR.

Power and clarity are on a completely different level with the panasonic.

I have just finished listening to the shiga with C10 changed with a.... wait for it.... I know you won t see it coming.... panasonic FR at 47uF..

OH MY!!!
WHAT THE....
OK the sound is in a completely different level... I know I speak often with big words but...

The sound seems to have lost some of its previous grandeur, but it has gained so much in terms of natural textures that it has become spooky.
Especially voices are amazing. Violins, guitars, again absolutely stunning. Metal drums like ride cymbals have become a bit less "in your face" but have gained much in timing and in clarity. In many cases where I could hear just a single tik from the drum stick that dominated everything, I could now hear a smaller tik that was followed by several smaller ticks all with their own harmonics and echoes... really spooky stuff... like really hearing the drummer...
Violins have also gained much in clarity but not in a plain tubey way, rather in a 211 SET way... I can now hear their natural roughness, while they still have much power and biteyness. Same with guitars.
But again the biggest WOW is for the voices... WOW!!

The one thing that I don t like is that I do not have the previous attack power in lows. Bass drums and bass guitars seem to have gone a bit to background, became a bit fluffy and do not really follow the power of the mids... I m starting again to suspect the PIOs in dcb1's output. Or perhaps the fresh solder... Or the crappy digital interconnect... I will know tomorrow...

On a different subject, I tried the replacement mecha too, again... bent rotor... sigh... I have 4 mechas all with bent rotors... I kept in the 5th one with the slightest hint of wobble, but still It has some trouble reading cheap copied CDRs.
By the way, the transport seems to have become pretty non tolerable in surface imperfections.

I did not have time to play with the p-pad... but stilll... it was a good day...

please hekp .

mu sanyo boombox has just arrived.

the transport can read the TOC. but when I push play, skip, eyc it cant play.

even when I play from remote control.

Hi Costa,

Check the connection between the function control board and CD mechanism control board. Check the flexi cable is in the correct orientation.

Best of all if you could take a picture and show us the whole setup.

Regards,
Tat

Hi Chung

I've checked pin to pin connection between display board and cd board, and all connected well.

please help.

Thanks

regards,

hendra

Attachments

• sanyo.jpg
    sanyo.jpg
    200.4 KB · Views: 485
That does not look like any of the display boards I've seen before. What model JVC did it come from? Check the ribbon cable connections very well. That seems to be a common problem. Also, I see you have a cdr on the transport, does it work with a regular cd. I know some had issues with it reading cdr disks. Not sure if any of this helps, it just things I've seen reading this thread for the past three years.

Hello all,
postig some pictures of my Shigaclone with great thanks to all people contributing to this great thread.
Special thanks to Peter who started and developed these simple project into something extraordinary, as all the heroes of this thread which pushed forward the project. During this period I've learned many new things, I personally starting from zero knowledge in electronics with only the desire to build this extraordinary transport.
Thanks all
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Built from EZ-31 parts I opted for a separate power supply , twin transformer for 8V and 5V separate lines and Burson regulator for 5v

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

alluminium enclosure taped with dynamate

mounted on a wooden plate and also side plates of wood

All electronic parts were bought on ebay from different sellers.
Great thanks to all

tonyptony,thanks for the good words
the case was taken from here Audio Catalog
AL-314B Full Aluminum chassis for Pre-amp or small power amp - Black color version and cutted all opennings with dremel tools ,it cuts alluminium pretty easy ,important thing is to stick the whole box before working with scotch tape to avoid accidental scratches
here you have link for spike-cones
Hi Fi Racks M6 Stainless Steel 15mm Spikes (Set of 4) | eBay
white front plate for the display was taken from original JVS boombox

it sounds really good,very natural,fast and precise,used with TP opus dac.
I did all the mods described by uncle_leon on his site
BG std 1000/25 filtering caps
burson regulator for 5V
C916 BG N 33/16
Output L-pad Shinkoh + CaddockMK132
all the best

Erik van Voorst ,thank you very much for your kind words,
considering the great attention that you pay to small details in all your projects you are absolutely right . for the moment I thought to do the sides of the power supply from wooden plates ,just the same as transport unit, and arrived there I will definitely do something better with that cable .
cheers