Finally, an affordable CD Transport: the Shigaclone story

It suddenly stopped working.

Symptoms:

The disc when first placed starts to rotate, but counterclockwise, and never recognizes the tracks.

When it stops, it displays 99 99 00 and does not recognize the TOC command nor any other.

Checked the Power supply it is Ok. Disconnected and connected the ribbon connectors, etc.. they seem ok

Do you think it might be the laser assembly or the electronics in the board?

Thanks

Sounds like it might be a problem with the motor controlling chip, the one with little heatsink - it's a dreadful suggestion, but perhaps it overheated at some point?...

Attachments

• dsc01472.jpg
    dsc01472.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 644
What have you people done to me?

I decided tonight to plug in try out the transport in its untouched state. I made up some patch cables at work today and hooked everything up using the boombox as the PS and the audio out pins to my headphone amp. I mounted to transport on a piece of 1.5" thick poplar that I had laying around and just let the display lay beside it. Everything worked as it should have. I pulled out a couple of cd's that I have listened to religiously for years and heard things that I never knew were there. I thought it must just be my mind playing tricks on me so I hooked up to the computer where I have the same music ripped as flacs. The stuff coming out of the computer sounded utterly lifeless. I could not believe it. And this from the stock board with no changes. I really can't wait now to get all the parts and have this thing setup properly.

Hi

Has someone compared result "original crystal & 5v input VS Trichord no4" ?
Please share the result

Thank you, best regards

From PAGE #321 POST#3210

I added the trichord clock 4 needs burning in,but at the moment prefer the stock clock for its more natural warmth of tone. Strings have a smoothness and fullness with the original clock, but sound a little more detailed and harsher with the Trichord. The Trichord provides a little more air but not necessarily more presence and realism ......... need to burn the clock 4 in before making more judgements.

however the biggest improvement and it was the same regardless of which clock i used, was adding my own diy bybees. Brought solidity and tangible presence to voices, almost as if i was closer to the microphone now and more able to hear the details in Frankies voice. Not a huge jump but certainly a more significant upgrade.

PS as i had blown up so many transports i got fed up of upgrading the caps and so these comments are made on a stock version with no cap upgrades.

Photos to come at the weekend.

From PAGE #322 POST#3211

I added the trichord clock 4 needs burning in,but at the moment prefer the stock clock for its more natural warmth of tone. Strings have a smoothness and fullness with the original clock, but sound a little more detailed and harsher with the Trichord. The Trichord provides a little more air but not necessarily more presence and realism .........need to
burn the clock 4 in before making more judgements.

Used the pioneer stable platter disc and yes preferred it to the ebony. same naturalness and presence but less loss of detail and not as overpowering in the midbass,which felt unnatural overall to my ears. Perhaps because it was more correctly centered? ...

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digi...rdable-cd-transport-shigaclone-story-322.html

EUREUKA !

Hmmm ! Natural vs Detailed ..... :bigeyes:

Erik used BG for clock supply ... :rolleyes:

Original caps still on the board . :idea:

Maybe i know the answer what i must to do now
"The second mods" & "Salas Shunt +5V Supply with BG Caps"
Get a sound like TL0 is more than enough for me now

Last edited:
I can't believe it...

I've just come in and checked the final price of the EZ51 that was on E Bay.
I did NOT bid because I was expecting ' you lot ' to drive it up to stupid levels and found it went for £ 30 ish delivered.....I want to type loads of rude words here but I know I can't.

I even said to my wife ' I should put £ 40 quid on this to see what happens but someone will pay double probably '

Holy schmolly - wish I'd stayed in...

Hey, don't worry and welcome :)

You can probably build a very decent Shiga in under a £100 total, even after spending £50 on the boombox. If you use the stock trafo (which is actually ok), all you need is four MSR860 diodes, an LM7808, and three audio-grade capacitors of choice. And some suitably rigid enclosure. This will easily mop the floor with your Marantz ;)

Hi,

The trichord no.4 is for me a lot better than the original crystal.
It was for me a blind buy, but it suprised me :sing:
Quieter background, better detail seperation, more swing :cool:

Just give it a try :D

I wanted to give it a try, but the price scared me off... I can understand spending £10 or £20 on an "audiophile" part. But that clock is £150, and you still need a separate power supply for it... That's about as much as my entire Shiga cost me, including Black Gates and case materials...

Forgive me if it's a stupid question, but is it very difficult to build one's own discrete clock? It just occurred to me that maybe someone came up with a DIY clock design that beats commercial stuff the way Shigaclone and Gainclone do...?

I was wondering the same thing. The picture above does not look like it would be a complicated thing to make.

I'm now looking for the best dac to go with this project. The 2 that I currently have are both usb dacs so neither will work. I thought of modding the one that uses a PCM1794 but am not sure how to go about it yet. I'm still studying the data sheets fro that chip. It has a data in pin that is being fed by the PCM2707 and I was thinking of just tapping in there with the SPDIF in but I'm still learning about the whole digital music thing.

I like the looks of Peter's dac and the price for the kit is about right in my ballpark. Any other diy suggestions. I would like the option of balanced out also.