Finally, an affordable CD Transport: the Shigaclone story

Ah, you know I have a couple of those out in the workshop. I couldn't get them to work!! I bought a different model from maplin, and soldered the centre pin. There is a screw in grommit and ferrule that clamps on the braid.

Fran

Those ones you mention were the ones I wanted but - typical of EVERY time I go into Maplin - they weren't in stock so not wanting to hold my project up I got the screw on version for the DAC end of the cable.

Strange that it affected the sound in such a negative way (was the so-so connection introducing some resistance perhaps?). Obviously though not soldered and just a pressure fit (if that!) there WAS contact being made or else the DAC wouldn't get a lock. No strange noises or nasties either. BUT the sound was often rather thin, sterile sounding, and very uninspiring. Tiring to listen to, but nothing that screamed 'faulty' as such. Having just replaced the BNC on my DAC with a decent quality phono, and now using a decent soldered interconnect between Shiga and DAC the music is blosoming in that very unique analogue way which Shiga does so well. Particularly that amazing bass response which just seems bottomless! I'm relieved because I thought I was starting to imagine how good it had sounded, and everyone here was over-hyping it ;)

- John

Last edited:
I'm not surprised at all - you can get reflections at either badly terminated end that can affect the sound.

Fran

Ahhh right - very interesting!!! It's been driving me nuts ever since I finished my Shiga mk.2 (with a fresh JVC transport, Black Gate N and one of Peter's chassis) last June!!! It's only taken me over half a year to narrow it down to that pesky BNC plug - doh :yell:

Still experience breeds knowledge - check EVERYthing before doubting your ears ;)

It's sounding fab - going to be one of those LONG into the early hours listening sessions tonight I think :D

Ah I love the ST70. I built one completely from scratch a few years back from all new parts and a repro chassis, with the exception of the output transformers which were Dynaco originals. I had a repro driver board too but in the end this lost out to the VTA driver board with ESA clarity caps and KT66 valves. Had to sell it a few months back alas I just had too much hi-fi clutter. One day I'll get another though. Fab looks too!

Glad you're having a good musical sesh - I'm doing the same! :D

It must be a season of a Shigaclone, I've also built two of them recently, here's a simplified version.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    177.7 KB · Views: 621
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    192.5 KB · Views: 604
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    194.7 KB · Views: 591
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    186 KB · Views: 570
As promised we tested yesterday the use of bybees and the use of mains filtering for the transport.
To do it in some sort of order we first compared a standard transport against my "advanced" contraption.
Needless to say that it bettered everything which made life easier for my friend since he now only has to order the same parts.
All further tests we did on the standard boombox.

First the bybees we picked for fun the golden ones...the change was HUGE...we replaced them for normal ones and thank God the change was for our ears the same so we performed the test with the cheaper bybees (still nearly 200 dollars !!!!).
We listened to church music...the bybees gave us a cathedrale and beautiful voices and the choir never got "raw". With classical guitar and flute the bybees simply gave more presence. So decision made !!!!
Second the mains...we used a small one and a bigger line-filter.
The bigger one proofed better giving a bit more dynamics and more timbre.
We tried several configurations...with or without bybees....
Best solution was the bigger mains with the bybees.

ByBees.jpg

I'm guessing it uses Bobken's discrete regulators that Peter posted a while back, separate for 5V and 8V. We could see some Os-Cons, a V-Cap and a green Wima film cap on the pictures. Also apparent on the photos, Digital Out is taken straight off the chip.
Peter uses separate two CT trafos in his DAC - perhaps he tried this with Shiga?... But that's just speculation :D

I'm curious too what are the new "reference mods" ;)

mmm, would be interesting alright.... although you can buy that mechanism on ebay for about $5, not the $54 on that site. A quick google tells me that the MK1 could only play CDs, but the MK2 could play mp3 files. So the MK1 is the one to try out....

Having said that, these are made as DJing decks so they likely have a lot of extra circuitry.

Anyone got one they could open up and have a look-see?

You need to keep in mind that what's in the link (and in all of the eBay auctions I checked) is motor, chasis and laser pickup ONLY. You would need to provide all the power supplies and, more importantly, something to process the laser readings into SPDIF signal. Not an easy task, given that the "magic" of the Shigaclone seems to lie largely in its processing circuits. Still, certainly worth some further investigation.