Finally, an affordable CD Transport: the Shigaclone story

After reading alot of positive comments about this transport (even comments like "the last CD transport I'll ever own) I decided to build one myself.

I have stumbled across 2 pcs of EZ51H so purchased both immediately ;)

As I'll only need 1 player the other is up for sale for anyone who would like to build the Shigaclone also. :D

It is located in Denmark and in-a-box brand new.

After having read many of the pages (but still not all) does the PDF contain the mods worth doing or are there more? As the thread is so long and people have started modding system specific also it is quite hard to keep track :)

Also, thank you for sharing both initial mods (peter etc.) and pictures of your finished transports as inspiration :)

Yesterday I replaced the main/audio board with a power supply around a 7808. I'm still using the stock transfo and rectifier board (minus the 3300μ cap), but that will be replaced as well in the future.

The attachment show the current setup. No mods to the CD-board yet,

Attachments

• image6.jpg
    image6.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 1,227
F/G Stripboard

jitter said:
Yesterday I replaced the main/audio board with a power supply around a 7808. I'm still using the stock transfo and rectifier board (minus the 3300¼ cap), but that will be replaced as well in the future.

The attachment show the current setup. No mods to the CD-board yet,

Hey where did you get fiberglass stripboard Jitter?:bigeyes: :bawling:

guys - I've just joined having been lurking silently for a while and have read (most of!) this thread with great interest with a view to making myself a decent transport at last!

I've stumbled across a decent supply of B grade RC-EZ51's - with scratched bodies, damaged boxes etc - which would be perfect for this sort of project ...... all at around £35 delivered

So ......... has it been confirmed that the EZ51 is useable and pretty much the same as the EZ31?

have any problems materialised from using the 51 rather than the 31?

if not - I gotta get me one

PS - I do obviously intend to read the WHOLE thread asap - but thought I'd be cheeky and slot this question in here - hope you don't mind!!:)

herewegoagain said:
guys - I've just joined having been lurking silently for a while and have read (most of!) this thread with great interest with a view to making myself a decent transport at last!

I've stumbled across a decent supply of B grade RC-EZ51's - with scratched bodies, damaged boxes etc - which would be perfect for this sort of project ...... all at around £35 delivered

So ......... has it been confirmed that the EZ51 is useable and pretty much the same as the EZ31?

have any problems materialised from using the 51 rather than the 31?

if not - I gotta get me one

PS - I do obviously intend to read the WHOLE thread asap - but thought I'd be cheeky and slot this question in here - hope you don't mind!!:)

Herewegoagain

Do you have an ASDA near you? I purchased two 31s for £25 each

Richard