Finally, an affordable CD Transport: the Shigaclone story

Hi,
Q702 is not needed so it can be removed..You must have connected V+ to a SYNC wire.

Attachments

• led.jpg
    led.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 1,479
Badge said:
I put a 10K ohm resistor in series off the DC output of the power supply. I never did see any back light so I checked voltage. I had 7.5 volts. I am assuming I destroyed the LED? How do I access the LED for replacement? Looks like the whole display needs to removed? So close yet so far.

Just remove the triangular lid and desolder the LED from the back..

Attachments

• ledreplace.jpg
    ledreplace.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 1,537
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Badge said:
I put a 10K ohm resistor in series off the DC output of the power supply. I never did see any back light so I checked voltage. I had 7.5 volts. I am assuming I destroyed the LED? How do I access the LED for replacement? Looks like the whole display needs to removed? So close yet so far.

It isn't necessarily the case that you destroyed the LED, you must have connected it backwards though. (The led reverse breakdown voltage is certainly lower than 7V, but the current was limited and it might/might not have survived the experience.) Recheck the connections first, (no errors, missing ground?) reverse them if necessary and then if finally replace the LED if necessary.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
valo said:
think i did kill my transport today .. i did mount the regulator to the frame but i did forget to isolate if from the frame .. my transport canot find tracks on the cd anymore, the display onely show 00 now..

iam going to order an new jvc rc51 now..

iam thankful for anyhelp that can bring my board alive again

Provided that you used an LM7808 regulator or one of its many variants the tab is at ground potential - more likely that you made some other error that resulted in an over-voltage to your board. (Like swapping the input and output pins on the regulator..) If you are sure you did not do this then you might want to check for other issues - I had the same problem when I did not have the mechanism ribbon fully seated.

Here is a link to the spec sheet for the Fairchild version of the part which shows very clearly what each pin is..

http://www.fairchildsemi.com/ds/LM/LM7808.pdf

kevinkr said:

Provided that you used an LM7808 regulator or one of its many variants the tab is at ground potential - more likely that you made some other error that resulted in an over-voltage to your board. (Like swapping the input and output pins on the regulator..) If you are sure you did not do this then you might want to check for other issues - I had the same problem when I did not have the mechanism ribbon fully seated.

Here is a link to the spec sheet for the Fairchild version of the part which shows very clearly what each pin is..

http://www.fairchildsemi.com/ds/LM/LM7808.pdf

No , i have the rigth regulator an lm7808 and it gives me 8v, and everything did work just fine before i mounted the regulator on the frame..

aparatusonitus said:

Hi valo,

I used to have the same problem...found a few wary tiny cracks in display PSB board as well as main board. Use a magnifying glass and light bending to see offending PCB traces, solder them and you'll be back in business.

My display board is heavy modyfyed, just the connector left of it , but it did work just fine before i mounted the ergulator to the copper frame whit out isolating the regulator..

I did order a new JVC today so i shuld be back in business werry soon :)

valo said:

I got the idea from this cdplayer, and this one is not an DIY player .. looks like a mess in ther but nice on the outside
[....]
anyway iam saving my big caps for an nie amp

Sorry for the offtopic on my part....
Valo your first picture has got nothing to do with Forsell's electronic layout and his CDM9 pro 'airdamped' mechanism :whazzat:
So I think this contrapsion must be a DIY ;)

Anton.

scrutinizer said:

Sorry for the offtopic on my part....
Valo your first picture has got nothing to do with Forsell's electronic layout and his CDM9 pro 'airdamped' mechanism :whazzat:
So I think this contrapsion must be a DIY ;)

Anton.

Thats rigth Anton, the first picture i did post here is my DIY cdplayer.. the modyfyed Forsell is not mine .. I onely wanted to show you guys the 1F cap that its inside it ..