• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Filament Wiring - Shielded vs. Twisted?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Gabdx1 said:
Input end / source = I thought they were the same, correct me if i am wrong, please.

What I mean is to ground the drain wire at the electric source.

For interconnects I just don't understand ! For me interconnects are the connecting wires that link one module to the other ex: cd player to amp.

I would call ptp wiring the wires inside a circuit, or simpler just wires... Is it just me?
Source is the output. e.g. CD player line out is the source/output, pre-amp/amp line-in is the input.

zigzagflux said:
There is a more subtle reason, though, even for tubes that have their cathodes very near ground potential. The idea is to 'bias' the heater voltage to a positive DC reference voltage with respect to the cathode. The goal being to keep the heater voltage always positive wrt the cathode, preventing a pseudo- forward biased diode behavior. This has been known to decrease hum when using AC heating (and possibly DC heating, IDK). This DC reference should have a reasonably low impedance to ground from 5Hz and up.

Got it, thanks.

I imagine the mechanisme at work is like a vacuum cleaner, sucking up free electrons between heater and cathode. Or did I drink too much coffee right now? ;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.