• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

FH9HVX - Budget Conscious 100w Class AB for Lean Times

and front :)

Attachments

• FH9HVX_front.jpg
    FH9HVX_front.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 92
Reactions: 2 users
Today I got 2,5mm2 cables from aliexpress, hard clumsy, ...they ended up in the trash.
So I ordered Mogami 2919 (6x 2,5mm2), proven quality. I have to strip them of the outer wrapper, and they will be twisted. I'll probably use the black and red for speaker output. The rest will be used for the power supply part.

For the signal part I ordered MOGAMI 2514 in several colors and I will either make a version with two twisted wires together or I will use a high quality shielded MOGAMI 2803 (I have this one at home).

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Many of us on DIYA use “RC Drone / Helicopter” battery wire for amp projects. It’s very high strand count copper wire that has heat resistant soft silicone insulation. Designed for high current situations and places very little mechanical strain on joints since so flexible. Available like tap water due to $B drone industry.

For example:
16 Gauge Silicone Wire Spool 50 Feet, Ultra Flexible High Temp 200 deg C 600V 16 AWG Stranded Wire with 252 Strands of Tinned Copper Wire, 25 ft Black and 25 ft Red Wire for Model Battery by MILAPEAK https://a.co/d/4iKU1fm

And

BNTECHGO 16 Gauge Silicone Wire Kit 10 Color Each 25 ft Flexible 16 AWG Stranded Tinned Copper Wire https://a.co/d/8Rfsfeh

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
The last DIY amp one builds is always the best until the next one. :)

Not having heard the Q17 before, but seeing its topology and measurements I would say it probably sounds excellent. It has 17 actives, and one of them a state of the art opamp (with probably 24 transistors in itself) vs the FH9HVX which has 9 actives and no opamp. Much simpler build and less expensive.

From pure THD performance standpoint, I would guess Q17 distortion figures will be superior.

But listening enjoyment has a lot to do with the harmonic profile, phase flatness, amount of negative feedback used, and other immeasurable things like foot tapping rhythm and speed.

I will say that the FH9HVX has some nice smashing bass authority and is a very dynamic and fun sounding amp that works with all music genres.

Looking forward to Vunce’s listening impressions.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Joined 2014
Paid Member
@Vunce
Since you have built both the FH9HVX and the Q17, I would like to hear your opinion on which is sonically better, ...
As X has eluded to, I'm still in the Q17 honeymoon phase, latest is greatest :ROFLMAO:.
But, in general I'm not really a good reviewer that uses audiophile hyperbole. What I will say is both amplifiers are definitely worthy of building so you can hear them in your own room with your supporting gear. I know these comments are not what you're looking to hear, but as they say, Build them All!!
:cheers:

HI.
Yes, still in the calibrating stage.
I have had the amp running for 6 months before and then the FQA on the left channel went POOF for some reason. Now I'm running the IRFP as the FQA are end of life... I also used much bigger heatsinks now,

I love this amp, very dynamic sounding, strong base. Suits me perfectly...

Best of all I am able to repair it and it still cost me less than a low/mid end commercial amp. (Yamaha Pure Direct anyone?:sneaky:)

Regards.
Nik

Reactions: 3 users