• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Favorite Output Tube?

All folks,

Gee whizz! - as our Arch-bishop Desmond Tutu once said in a very un-clerical way, showing his sincerety all the more.

Thanks, but all it needs is a little time extra. I am sure the other pics showing tops only would have been in class re bottoms. But recognition, especially from a forum such as this, is humbly accepted and with appreciation.

Zigzagflux, that can be exactly so. One does not run parallel wiring without danger, and therefore without forethought. Not to compare myself to Peter Walker, but the Quad II is the classic example. Those wires belong to the power stages only (and d.c.) But the "sensitive" regions were done point-to-point as you would have noticed. Just a bit of nostalgia .........

This thread is about preference of output tubes, not circuits. Pushing the limits I will try, perhaps on another thread. Also a lot of it (semiconductors :eek: for safety and regulation circuits) is irrelevant to audio.

Now let us see other pics, please!

Regards

[Edit: spelling]

Another one...

Here's another one of my "babies". Right now it's on eBay.

Attachments

• jma230e_001.jpg
    jma230e_001.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 1,046
Ex-Moderator
Joined 2003
The forum occasionally finds commercial interests attempting to gain free advertising by registering as new member and then hawking their wares, so the word "eBay" rings our alarm bells. It was sufficient simply to give an answer to the question. Insults are not necessary or encouraged.

Re: I'm sorry...

TubeHead Johnny said:
I'm sorry ECC8010. I'm having a bad day.

Oooh! I cannot resist this one. :devilr: That is one neat way to pacify someone - make him a double triode!! (You need an emoticon to qualify this one? Oh come now!:whacko: )

But TubeHead Johnny:

Interesting to find that you have separate bass and treble controls for the two channels. Separate bass intensities would mostly shift nodes and antinodes in the room, but I can see that treble controls could affect (improve) the stereo image, for one because of the often overlooked factor, that fractional-dB equality at the tweeter's mouth does not guarantee that at the listener's ears (different reflections, room acoustices, etc.) Did you find this arrangement usefull or was it mostly for conveniense - and then in what way?

And I should have started by saying that it is a most impressive construction. I believe accolades coming my way earlier must be shared! (So also with other pics here.)

(Edit: Typos)

Re: Re: I'm sorry...

Johan Potgieter said:
...Interesting to find that you have separate bass and treble controls for the two channels. Separate bass intensities would mostly shift nodes and antinodes in the room, but I can see that treble controls could affect (improve) the stereo image, for one because of the often overlooked factor, that fractional-dB equality..

Johan Potgieter said:
..This thread is about preference of output tubes, not circuits...

Moamps -

??????????????????????????????????
Is there a remark here? Are you a moderator?

I was asking for a reason behind a specific application of tone devices, not the circuit diagrams. Posts #1, 3, 14, 32 and 35 also addressed tone one way or another.

Re second quote: A complete sentence would have read (in reply to the previous post): "A schematic may not be appropriate here, because this thread is about preference of output tubes, not circuits." Is my English poor? Other posts referred folks elsewhere for circuit diagrams.

On to something more productive:

Ulibub,

You mentioned in your post #32 that a 6L6 sounded poor but a 7027 better. But these tubes are exactly the same, construction and all, except for dissipation. I am wondering whether this could again point to freedom with numbering, or could you have used sub-standard 6L6s? Could you think of an explanation or elucidate, please?

Regards