Favorite lesser known films

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2004
I'm having a little trouble figuring out what an independent film is. No major studios involved I guess, but how do I know this? Low budget? That tag sounds a little stupid to me; there are no independent films but some have a peculiar personality behind.

Disabled Account
Joined 2004
Your right. This is stupid.
I forgot how literal everybody is here.
Just let this thread die......
My mistake.
:)

Well, a little mistake, yes, but forgive my rudeness. This thread was doomed anyways, just read the selections on the the Best Movie thread. People don't even know what a good movie is, let alone if it's 'independent' or not. :D OK, there's jackinnj and there's me and ......there must be somebody else...haha.... sorry for the jokes....

I still refuse to name a film 'independent' but check out some wild spirit like Sam Peckinpah and such. I suppose guys with a strong personality make independent films. That sounds right to me. Can't think about a particular one at the moment.... but there's always tomorrow.

I just wanted a way for people to experience films they may not have seen before.
so, if you have a film in mind that isn't so popular, just suggest it and please provide a link so people can just click on it.
I know there is a greatest films ever made thread but, who's going to sift through all that malarkey?
so, 1 film...1 link.....easy.

I still refuse to name a film 'independent' but check out some wild spirit like Sam Peckinpah and such. I suppose guys with a strong personality make independent films. That sounds right to me. Can't think about a particular one at the moment.... but there's always tomorrow.

Well I want to agree in a serious non-trouble making way. There are so many films financed by majors where the director was essentially independent even ran amok. Funny coincidence I was about to post on the topic but noticed this post, Cassiel we are on the same wavelength, how about "Bring me the Head of Alfredo Garcia". Monte Hellman's "Two Lane Black Top" comes to mind too.

"Factotum" IIRC was released by Canal+ not exactly independent, they do carry some otherwise untouchable films.

If you want independent in the extreme try "Thundercrack!" two or three prints in film festivals only (there are hundreds of these). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thundercrack! I only mention this one because I knew the directors cousin and sister.

Last edited:
I recently re-watched "An inconvenient true" and is for me the best, as I like documentary and strongly dislike normal movies. I also watched "The Three Stooges", but it is impossible not to compare it with the originals (Moe, Larry, Curly and Shemp (I put aside Joe as he was the worse of them)), and believe the argument is poorer and far from these old shorts.

Niek niek niek...

"Kill the Irishman" was released last year and grossed less than $2mm -- the somewhat true and grizzly story of Danny Greene -- a Cleveland dock-worker turned gangster who got in trouble with the NY mob -- one of my sisters said that he may have been a student in the school where my aunt taught (St. Jerome).

In a bit of ethnic rivalry, Greene car bombs Shondor Birns -- right near my high school.

Regrettably, the movie was filmed in Detroit.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.