Favorite Full Range Driver Poll

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am in the proces of building a pair of Neodynium OBLs - N-OBL :) They are inspired by Troels Gravesens OBL-10, which are inspired by Wharfedale SFB (Sand Filled Baffles). Gravensens are 3-way - 15", 8 inch and 2". The SFB were 2-way - 12" and 10" coax I think.

Mine will become 2-way with a 15" Deltalite 2515II and an 8" Tang Band W8-1808.

But now to the ´fullrange´. I have been running the TBs alone on a test baffle for some time, and they sound very good. It though needs a Zobel and probably a BSC kind of filter to tame the high end a little. I have also tried to run it as a ´No frame´ together with some ScanSpeak 10", which also sounded very good. The sound stage get wider with the broad baffle though, which I like better.

I have worked with different theories of how to design a Zobel, and have settled with a practical one developed buy a former Danish loudspeaker guru by the name Niels Noergaard. The calculations for the Zobel resultet in 9.3 ohms and 6.8 uF - I use 10 ohms and 6.8 uF, and it works very well.

So far the BSC is .82 mH paralelled with 3,3 ohms, but this one of course depends on many things. I just use it to tame the treble from 1.5 Khz and upwards, and I will probably adjust the resistor when fine tuning.

But the TB sounds very good when burned in (+ 100 hours). I think they have som shouting when not burned in, and without the Zobel.

Best regards
Arthur.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.