Fast, fun, Inexpensive OB project

After a year of enjoying my first built of the Manzanitas, I've finally found the time to upgrade them...
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

The baffles are Ikea kitchen doors, 2 glued backwards on each other, with dynamat in between. The sides are 10mm polycarbonate.

My first built only had single kitchen doors and carbon sides. With heavy bass, the baffle was bouncing back and forth heavily and the carbon sides were waving at the rear wall all the time. The new baffles and sides have massively improved the bass. Up to the level where I almost can't imagine 'could it get any better?'
The Vifa's TC9's have been replaced with TG9's, the dis-continued 8 ohm variant. The filter has been tweaked such that the highs aren't flattened off as much as with the TC9, since the natural response of the TG9's is flatter than that of the TC9.

Although I really like the sound of the TC9's in this setup, I did mis the crisp highs with cymbals and snairs of violins than could be heard but not 'be felt'. The TG9 lives up to my expectation with more crisp highs and openness. With well known music, I did notice some new elements due to the TG9's, which made me happy!

Regarding looks, everyone to there own, but I do like the white membrane, which even shines light through:p. to make them appear more in line with the huge woofer, I've added black sticker foil to visually join them together. At the back, I'm planning to add some alloy rods to strengthen things up to the single foot sticking backwards.

In general, I would like to advise everyone that has the chance to grab a pair of TG9 8 ohms, stick them in and let us know what you think about them in the Manzanitas!

(Edit: somehow, I can't upload pictures from Google images in such a way that they appear normally in this thread; appologies!)

Last edited:

Attachments

• Manzanita front.JPG
    Manzanita front.JPG
    58.8 KB · Views: 1,371
  • Manzanita rear.JPG
    Manzanita rear.JPG
    57.8 KB · Views: 1,312
Thanks Pano!
I'm aware of all the discussions of not using a stand to take it off the ground. I made my baffle higher than standard, but will still have the negative effect of not having 'air' underneath it. However, looks are important to me too and I only very occasionaly notice that one note of the base is louder than the other. I can live with that. The rest of the sound is so overwhelming :)

Thanks a half a Million!!!

Hello all.... Just want to thank all who have made this project such a success! And a special thanks to Pano (aka) Michael Mardis for his initial post set up and continued support! I am often asked how many of the Manzanita in various configurations have been built due to this forum. Who knows? But judging from the many posts, back channel emails and raw driver vendor inputs, there must be quite a few. And this was what Pano & I intended.

It has been fun to see the various personal touches and modifications. Another thing we intended.

BTW, speaking of different open baffle projects... I have been rummaging around the parts bins here at MAS and over the last few weeks have put together an interesting project for the Lone Star Audio Fest in Dallas the weekend of 29 April - 1 May. This one uses an 18" coax and 21" helper woofer on a single baffle. The helper is driven with a 250 watt plate amp using the plate amp crossover (modified by me of course!). The 18" mid woofer and 3" compression driver will be driven by a couple of different 4 wpc tube integrated amps. The Coax crossover is an 8 element passive design.

I have dubbed this creation as Widow Maker Deux. WMD! Hope to see some of you in Dallas!