Fast, fun, Inexpensive OB project

Meet the Manzanita family members!

:DHey Pano, thanks for posting my pic! Just can't get the hang of posting on this forum. Computer challenged to say the least.

Want to ID the four different OB designs, so if there are any questions, we can direct a specific question to the intended design.

221088d1304217542-fast-fun-inexpensive-ob-project-manzanita-family.jpg

Starting from left to right: This is a three way designed around low cost drivers, so I call it the Manzanita BFTB (Bang For The Buck)

Next is a full range, medium efficiency larger version of the original Manzanita, so meet the Manzanita Gigantus. THE answer to woofer envy!

Then the most challenging of the group, the Manzanita HF (High Efficiency). Wanted to give the Hawthorne crowd a little competition. (98 dbw and flat bass into the mid 30's... Really!)

And lastly, the now updated version of the original Manzanita. Different & improved in a lot of ways, but still true to the concept of a small (by OB standards), simple to build and affordable stand mounted OB.

All but the BFTB will be at LSAF in Dallas the weekend of 13,14 & 15 May. My suite (suite number not yet determined) will be open all three days starting around noon on Friday and closing up late Sunday afternoon.

Hope to see you there!

:

Then the most challenging of the group, the Manzanita HF (High Efficiency). Wanted to give the Hawthorne crowd a little competition. (98 dbw and flat bass into the mid 30's... Really!)

John, any way of getting details (drivers, parts number, electronics) on the this particular model?, I am interested in building and trying with my favorite amp (which is a t-amp) in a smallish room. If efficiency and bass is ample, I am in for this project.

thanks,

gychang

:DHey Pano, thanks for posting my pic! Just can't get the hang of posting on this forum. Computer challenged to say the least.

Want to ID the four different OB designs, so if there are any questions, we can direct a specific question to the intended design.

221088d1304217542-fast-fun-inexpensive-ob-project-manzanita-family.jpg

Starting from left to right: This is a three way designed around low cost drivers, so I call it the Manzanita BFTB (Bang For The Buck)

Next is a full range, medium efficiency larger version of the original Manzanita, so meet the Manzanita Gigantus. THE answer to woofer envy!

And lastly, the now updated version of the original Manzanita. Different & improved in a lot of ways, but still true to the concept of a small (by OB standards), simple to build and affordable stand mounted OB.

All but the BFTB will be at LSAF in Dallas the weekend of 13,14 & 15 May. My suite (suite number not yet determined) will be open all three days starting around noon on Friday and closing up late Sunday afternoon.

Hope to see you there!
This is really good. I haven't yet read the whole thread. Are the details for all the models on here? Mostly, I would just like to know the drivers used for each one. I always use activeXO and biamp. This looks like one of the best OB projects around for my needs.

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Didn't see any discussion of maybe using Jordan JX 53 drivers for the wide range tweeter?
they have a new version now , The JXR6

http://documents.jordan-usa.com/JXR6HD.pdf
JXR6 HD

A bit pricey at $120 ea. but they should be able to handle the range and are less than some of the options mentioned I think..They are also inefficient, but as has been discussed, so are these open baffles!

Last edited:
my timing is off, as usual:)

I guess I should have waited a few more days before ordering the parts for the original version, although I suppose it still stands as a good sounding solution. I would still like to see the details on the new versions, apparently a Vifa full range with the Peerless woofer?

Some Manzanita back ground information

Hello All

OK, some additional information on three of the four Manzanita versions. The floor standing dual 15" BFTB is still a work in progress, so more on that configuration at a later date.

After casting about for a replacement low cost tweeter to replace the original Seas TDFC tweeter and / or the upgraded (and very expensive) Scan Speak D3800 mid-tweeter, I settled on the Vifa T-FD series of 3.5" full range drivers. There are several variants in this group, but the two I like the best are the TC9FD18-08 (paper cone) and TG9FD10-04 Fiber glass cone. I tried several other potential drivers including Tang Band, SB Acoustics and Fountek. I wanted to keep the cost below $ 40 each, in line with my usual low cost, value for the money goal. I also wanted to use something that will likely be available for quite a while (fairly recent design and still in production).

Each driver of course has it's own strengths and weaknesses. As usual, it comes down to finding the best compromise. And this is where the Vifa drivers won out for use in the Manzanita and Manzanita Gigantus designs.

The High Efficiency application, as in the Manzanita HE is a totally different design situation. Again, I wanted to keep costs to a minimum, but really have a speaker that offered a sensitivity of at least 96 DBW, stand mounted to minimize floor bounce problems and have usable bass extension to below 40 Hz. I also wanted to keep the impedance up, (8 ohms or higher) knowing this design may frequently be driven with low power tube amplification. Likely SET designs. When the Seas Seas Prestige FA22RCZ (H1597-08) 8" Full-range recently became available, I knew there was a potential for an efficient 2 way OB.

And it turns out, that for my HE goals, the FA was made to order. To realize my efficiency - bass extension goals it quickly became apparent single 15" could not be used, and 2 each 15" woofers would require too large a baffle for a stand mounted system. So a very efficient 18 with at least 6 MM of Xmax would be required. I tried several potentials 18's, high Q, Medium Q, & low Q. P-Audio, Eminence, Goldwood, MCM and others.

Counter to accepted philosophy, a very low Q woofer can work quite well with the right combination of baffle area, crossover and wing depth. Not where I thought I would end up.

In future posts I will concentrate on the design details of each of the Manzanita line, one design at a time. Keep in mind that where I end up may not be the best possible solution, it's MY personal solution.

Think of what I have done as a good starting point. I love to see where others take the base designs. I will provide basic crossover topologies, baffle - wing dimensions and general crossover component values.

More later.

Hi John,

I just wanted to thank you for taking the time to work up these designs and go through the effort of posting them here, your work is appreciated!:)

I'm personally very interested in the new version of the original Manzanita design as well as the new high efficiency model. I'm a fairly recent OB convert and after listening to some EV 12trxb's on an open baffle I'm going to have a tough time going back to a "box" speaker! Whether this takes me in the direction of electrostatics, planar magnetics or dynamics on an OB remains to be seen. Certainly the high efficiency model would open up the amplifier choices!
:cheers: