Faraday ring in louspeaker driver, what is it?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2002
Paid Member
The subject of operating point of magnets is well explained in the pdfs of this site:

Theory

If you go through them, please start from the first one (basic parameters…), to the second (demagnetisation curve), to the third (working point…), then to the forth (magnetic materials) and finally to the fifth (computation of permanent magnetic fields).
In them, I found a few things that cleared some misconceptions in my mind.

They may be of help to you too. *PS

Regards
George

*PS They are a good common reference point for discussion as well.

I apologize! I took that from your link in post 44 to Linkwitz' midrange distortion study--that was the Le(i) distortion mechanism. And that's the mechanism treated by use of shorting rings.

Which distortion mechanism are you referring to then?

The Linkwitz study is interesting but a little confusing in terminology. He is trying to model the midrange distortion he sees in 3 drivers. First attempt is related to how inductance changes with position in a symmetrical driver and a non-symmetrical driver. Distortion is much higher than expected so the model is found inadequate.

In the second look he considers the solenoidal force and the second harmonic it should generate. Again the predicted distortion is much lower than the measured. The model is inadequate.

For a third look he talks about Le vs. i but is actually looking at flux modulation: "The magnetic field strength generated by the voice coil current produces nonlinear increases and decreases of the static magnetic bias flux density B that is generated by the permanent magnet." (Emphasis mine, no mention of steel;)) In other words flux modulation happens.

In this case one driver has the distortion he predicts considering this particular factor. The second is 16dB better than predicted due to the presence of a shorting ring. So flux modulation creates a high but predictable level of midrange (low excursion) 2nd harmonic. A shorting ring knocks it down 16dB better than predicted.

Some of the confusion throughout this thread is that better quality woofers employ a number of improvements aimed at various performance issues. Copper caps and silver plated cores will reduce inductance and extend bandwidth. Undercut core poles will improve symmetry, reduce variation of inductance with position and reduce LF (high excursion) distortion. These are different issues.

The dominate cause of midrange 2nd harmonic distortion is flux modulation pushing the operating point around a hysteresis loop of ferrite magnet material. The shorting ring knocks it down to the point where the remaining distortion is a function of cone resonances.

David S.

For a third look he talks about Le vs. i but is actually looking at flux modulation:

Eureka! I have isolated the tiny misunderstanding we have been going back and forth about! Le vs. i and flux modulation are one and the same distortion mechanism. When flux modulates with changing values of i, the permeability of (forgive me!) *iron* changes, shifting Le.

The dominate cause of midrange 2nd harmonic distortion is flux modulation pushing the operating point around a hysteresis loop of ferrite magnet material.

While I fully agree that permanent magnet material of any kind has a hysteresis loop, I still think you're ignoring the elephant in the room--iron has a hysteresis loop, too! And perhaps more importantly, its magnetic permeability varies with the flux it carries.

We've both stated our positions pretty clearly, and no other magnetics gurus are entering the fray, so we may have to agree to disagree on exactly where the bad stuff happens. I say iron, you say ferrite--potato, potahto... let's call the whole thing off. :)

Last edited:
Uh oh.

If "to err is human," then maybe to fess up is divine?

I made an unequivocal assertion a few posts ago that
Le vs. i and flux modulation are one and the same distortion mechanism.
I even bolded it--about as emphatic as I ever get.

Well, something in the back of my mind made me uneasy, so I went digging through a bunch of literature. And guess what? I was wrong. ..Or not entirely right, which is only a little bit less bad. :eek:

To set the record straight, yes, flux modulation does lead to Le(i) distortion, but there is a fine distinction between flux modulation distortion and Le distortion.

Following is an excerpt from a Klippel document that has disappeared from their website but still can be dug out of the Internet Archive:

http://web.archive.org/web/20050301182645/klippel.net/download/bin\AN11+-+Flux+modulation.pdf

It defines the two phenomena and outlines how their very similar effects can be untangled from one another empirically to determine which is dominant in a given test case.

Effects of flux modulation

The variation of Bl(i) due to i produces nonlinear distortion in the output signal. Since the both the nonlinear inductance Le(x) and the flux modulation are closely related with the alternating magnetic field they produce similar effects and symptoms. Only the measurement of the intermodulation distortion shows significant differences between both mechanisms:

1) The nonlinear inductance Le(x) has two nonlinear effects. First the variation of the electrical impedance with voice coil displacement x affects the input current of the driver. Here the nonlinear source of distortion is the multiplication of displacement and current. The second effect is the generation of a reluctance force which may be interpreted as an electromagnetic motor force proportional to the squared input
current. If the driver is excited by a two-tone signal comprising a low frequency tone f1 swept around the resonance frequency fs and second tone f2 at a constant frequency 8*fs significant second-order intermodulation are evident in the radiated sound pressure. Although the current i(f1) of the first tone has a distinct minimum at the resonance frequency f1=fs the according voice coil displacement is high and significant intermodulations are produces as x(f1) is multiplied by i(f2) (first effect).

2) The flux modulation Bl(i) has two effects too. On the electrical side the back EMF Bl(i)*v produces nonlinear distortion due to the multiplication of current i and velocity v. On the mechanical side the driving force F = Bl(i)*i comprises a nonlinear term due to the squared current i. This force produces similar effects as the variable term Le(x) in the reluctance force. If the transducer is excited by a two-tone signal comprising a low frequency tone
f1 swept around the resonance frequency fs and second tone f2 at a constant frequency 8*fs significant second-order intermodulation distortion are present in the radiated sound pressure. Contrary to the intermodulation caused by the inductance Le(x) the intermodulation produced by the flux modulation have a distinct minimum at f1=fs because the low current i(f1) at the resonance will reduce the driving force which is proportional to the product i(f1)*i(f2).

Identification of the dominant nonlinearity

The different reactions of the nonlinear inductance Le(x) and the flux modulation Bl(i) to a two-tone signal are used to find the dominant nonlinearity. The first tone f1 is swept from fs/2 < f1 < 2fs at high amplitudes to produce a high displacement x(f1) and a considerable amplitude variation of the current i(f1). The second tone f2 excites the
driver at high amplitude and a constant frequency f2 > 500 Hz. The second-order intermodulation d2 according IEC 60268-5 are measured in the input current i(t) and in the radiated sound pressure p(t). If the inductance nonlinearity Le(x) is dominant the d2 curves for both i and p will be almost constant around the resonance frequency fs. Dominant flux modulation cause a distinct minimum in the sound pressure d2 at fs comparable with the fundamental response of i(f1). This minimum is not visible in the d2 of the current.

Last edited:
Dave,

An interesting sidelight of this Klippel excerpt is how it informs what you mentioned earlier in this thread--how high-output-impedance amplification led to a reduction in measured distortion from a loudspeaker. It's forehead-slapping simple, but I missed it earlier:

High output impedance largely overcomes Le(x) and Le(i) nonlinearities in loudspeaker motors by preventing them from affecting VC current. (Flux-modulation would still manifest in this case, though.)

Hooray for current amps! :)

Last edited:
Hello Soongsc

Masking ?? Can you be more specific? When I hear masking effects I think of the masking our hearing does that allows MP3 compression to "work". Is that what you mean? The masking that our own hearing does?? If so how can you get around it?

Rob:)
An analolgy: In the daytime, there are lots of variety fo sounds, so you will probably not hear the footsteps of people walking around. However, at night when all is quiet, same footsteps will become very clear. If the masking effect is significant enough, hi fi and mp3 will not be very distinguishable in terms of sound quality. This can be easily tested using verious speakers of various quality. You will find some where mp3 makes no difference.

Well, in the case of most solid state amps (low output impedance, touted as "high damping factor"), electrical damping largely happens in the amp output stage. Unfortunately, though, this enables the two inductance modulation distortion mechanisms inherent in many speaker motors--those associated with VC excursion and with ferromagnetic materials' varying permeability.

But if your amp has a very high output impedance (oh no! what shall we do without a high damping factor??), then it cares little whether inductance fluctuates, and its current waveform remains undistorted. :)

Exactly. IMO, amplifier Zout should serve the parameter goals of the loudspeaker system, not the other way around. This is especially easy to accomplish in an actively crossed-over system like a lot of serious DIYers use. It really opens up new worlds of possibility for using Low-Q prosound woofers in all kinds of alignments.

I'd love to see amp manufacturers revive the Z-matic feature. The Pass F1 is one of the only such amps I've seen recently. It lets you tune the Zout by swapping values of a resistor across the outputs.

Last edited:
Well, in the case of most solid state amps (low output impedance, touted as "high damping factor"), electrical damping largely happens in the amp output stage. Unfortunately, though, this enables the two inductance modulation distortion mechanisms inherent in many speaker motors--those associated with VC excursion and with ferromagnetic materials' varying permeability.

But if your amp has a very high output impedance (oh no! what shall we do without a high damping factor??), then it cares little whether inductance fluctuates, and its current waveform remains undistorted. :)
Bill, glad to have you back. Last time I saw you posting, we were talking about a DIY Parthenon motor; I recall that you modeled a triple-Differential Drive XBL^2 motor and remarked upon its ruler-flat BL(x) curve.

Anyway, can you clarify how a high output impedance (transconductance, current source, etc.) eliminates the B(i) variation and all excursion-based distortion factors? As far as I know, the main benefits is elimination of i(temp), which is a linear distortion source.

Bill, glad to have you back. Last time I saw you posting, we were talking about a DIY Parthenon motor; I recall that you modeled a triple-Differential Drive XBL^2 motor and remarked upon its ruler-flat BL(x) curve.

Yeah, those were fun times. A bit earlier, before Adire Audio published illustrations of how XBL2 worked , I used FEMM to figure out what was happening and scoop their press release. :p

Took a bit of a break when the fam started growing. Now I have 4 kiddos, and it's nice to escape back to audio every now and then. :eek:

Anyway, can you clarify how a high output impedance (transconductance, current source, etc.) eliminates the B(i) variation and all excursion-based distortion factors? As far as I know, the main benefits is elimination of i(temp), which is a linear distortion source.

With a voltage amplifier, anytime a driver's impedance varies for whatever reason, the current waveform is distorted. On the other hand, a current amplifier isn't sensitive to impedance variations, so it shuts down loudspeaker distortion mechanisms caused by varying impedance. These include Le(i) (inductance modulation due to nonlinear magnetic permeability), Le(x) (inductance modulation over excursion) and, as you mentioned, power compression due to VC impedance rising with temp.

By extension, current amplification also stabilizes several motor-related T/S parameters across the operating power range.

It does NOT treat other distortion mechanisms tied to excursion, such as Kms(x) (compliance vs. displacement) and BL(x) (force factor vs. displacement.)

Last edited:
Even if we stipulate that a non-constant Le(i) is a cause of distortion, fixing i(Re), which is what high output impedance does, does not necessarily stabilize Le(i) as i is dependent on the source.

I'm not sure how to approach Le(x) being affected by fixing i(Re). Have to get back to you on that.

About halfway back in the thread I describe a test I did with high impedance drive. The only distortion it reduces is the midrange distortion (2nd harmonic) due to flux modulation. LF distortion mechanisms due to nonlinear spyder or surround stiffnes or nonlinear B are not effected.

Flux modulation creates a back EMF that puts a distortion in the current. running closer to constant current reduced the effect and lowers the 2nd harmonic midrange distortion.

David S.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.