• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Fake Silmic II capacitor ??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello
I will try it .
The problem with the MKP caps they are way to large .
Also some commercial amplifier a la N Pass also use electrolytic on the input .

I received from JIMS Audio some measurement about the black sleeve Silmic capacitor.
Here is it !

Dear customer,

We would like to inform that we have done
measurement of the dielectric tangent loss of the
rfs capacitors you purchased and added the
measurement results to our listing. The results
show the rfs to have better performance than the
brown ones. We appreciate if you can share these
results with your diyaudio group members too.

Best Regards,
JIMS AUDIO

I think these is important after I have questioned the orig. of the black sleeve Elna Silmic .:)

Cheers gabor

Last edited:
lol :D

After all the stressing & wondering you at least now know you have some as new as you'll get Silmic II caps & they are likely to be better than the old brown ones. At least everyone else knows that they are genuine now to.

I guess when you are faced with something looking different & having no information as well as knowing a little human nature, it's quite easy to jump to conclusions :p

Cheers for bringing this up in the first place Gabor, at least others know what's going on with the new coloured capacitors to.

Hello

I want to be clear , but also I want to take the responsibility questioning the BLACK sleeve SILMIC orig ...
Before I posted anything I asked Parts Connexion , they sell Elna Silmic from the beginning .
I posted their answer to .
They didn't knew about the black sleeve Silmic because the change is just from these year !
Here are the measurement results !

Cheers

Attachments

• Silmic.JPG
    Silmic.JPG
    65.6 KB · Views: 633
  • Silmic II.JPG
    Silmic II.JPG
    83 KB · Views: 627
Ummm, that table is ever so slightly misleading imo. They should have tested the same capacitance & voltage capacitors. Higher voltage capacitors will show less loss when subjected to the same voltage.

However it does look pretty good at 10KHz (top left of the table) with far less loss. This might account for what you have been hearing :)

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi gaborbela,
I have to agree with event horizon on this. The same capacitance and voltage rating capacitors must be used for comparison. Also, a group needs to be tested and the average taken as each capacitor will differ slightly in tan and capacitance.

Now for another gottcha. What test fixture did they use with that meter? Did they correct the fixture parasitics when changing frequencies? I have owned an HP 4263A since it was first introduced, it's been in pretty constant use ever since. Reading the manual periodically reminds me of normal procedures. I always pull the book out whenever I do a measurement I'm not 100% familiar with. As good an LCR meter that this unit is, it will tell you lies if you don't set it up properly first. I'm in the habit of nulling the leads whenever I need an accurate measurement for example.

Generally speaking, the larger case is one the capacitor, the better the tan measurements tend to be. The miniaturized capacitors aren't very good in that respect.

-Chris

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.