Fake ELNA LAO 10000uf/80V from E-Bay seller

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
That´s called a bad batch.

Of course remaining bad ones WILL be sold on EBay ... LOL :rolleyes:
I bought a couple from this Aliexpress Store and will test them out and remove the top plastic cap. It's interesting that Elna don't have the 80v 10000uf on their website but could easily be a capacitor that is not sold directly to the public but soley to audio component manufacturers. Like how scan speak make special drivers with extra windings on the coils for speaker companies. Anyways as far as aliexpress reputation goes this store is pretty decent.

2PCS ELNA LAO 10000uF/80V 35*50MM authentic audio and video capacitors electrolytic capacitor free shipping
AliExpress

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Even U.S. sellers on eBay are not a safe bet. I never ever purchase electrolytics, but needing just a few I decided to take a risk and purchased some Nichicons from a U.S. based eBay seller.

I purchased some 220uF/25V UPS1E221MPD which look absolutely genuine, but when I tested a few with my Agilent 1732B LCR meter the capacitance was 19% low on all samples. (100Hz and 120Hz test frequencies)

I then tested several very recent purchases from DigiKey and they were all within 1% of the nominal value. (Including 220uF/25V from DigiKey that arrived the same day as the others.)

Generally when I test new Nichicons purchased from DigiKey they test within a few % or better of their rated value when new.

I ordered some Nichicon CY to repair led lamps on a lark awhile back from UltimateElectronics Store on Ali and found them to definitely be legitimate and the batch number was even more recent than the ones I had on hand from Digikey. Price per cap: .28 in contrast to the .80 for the same caps on Digikey. They have been in operation for about a month now with no issues. I have since ordered several different miniature Nichicon caps from different series. I've only seen 2 or 3 caps for sale that look questionable (bullseye bung). They have been in business 5 years. They had stopped shipping for awhile due to the virus, but are now back in business.

I tried to search an email to contact ELNA and understand if the code LAO-80V103MS57PXT provided by LCSC.com is valid, but I only find phone numbers
does anyone here speak Japanese? :D

You could try mail@elna.co.jp. I found an old thread on AK regarding the black and gold silmics, which apparently can be legitimate (Digikey purchased ones have always been brown and white) per an email from Japan technical support. Poster says Japan responded, but not the US addresses.

Every time I look at eBay for large electrolytic parts, the prices are mostly significantly higher than known, established distributors, at least for parts that look less suspicious. Notice how those Elna “for audio” had no date codes.

So, pay more, get possibly fake, or old stock, and wait for weeks to receive something that’s maybe not quite what was “in the picture”.

Smaller electrolytics have been found with success however.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.