Votes: 0 0.0%
  • FQA28N15

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • FQP TO220

Votes: 2 16.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Buzz, I don't think we can thank you enough - you are going waaaay out of your way to organise this.

As far as my opinion on this vs. that - I really have no clue.
FQA16n25C certainly looks like the most likely replacement, but due to my utter lack of necessary knowledge on the subject, I will have to depend on the others to set the direction.

EDIT: Oh, forgot - you should add the FQA16n25C to the poll options...

Last edited:
I accidentally ytped 12n25C. It is upposed to be 16n25c.

I will pick on BKsabath to make a point. He used the FQP19n20 devices in his F5, paired with FQA12p20. THe FQP is a smaller but identical version of its large FQA brother. IT has slightly lower numbers, probably a result of smaller die size as well as its thermal characteristics. THis is not the device used by Papa as stated in this thread.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pass-labs/148865-fqa12p20-fqa19n20c-discontinuation.html

All that being said, He loves his amp. If you compare his part, the orignal part, and the 16n25c, you see that the 16n is actually a closer match to the orginal. What that tells us is that the choice, if close to original specs, is probably going to sound great. I will try to publish as much info as I can on the new devices, but barring Nelson rushing in and saying these parts suck, I don t expect a great difference based on what I see in the datasheet. Keep in mind, that you have the great equalizer in P3. THis uses the FE to compnesate for the diffences in the output. Brilliant, right. BTW, I like the BA# better than the F5 and plan to put the diodes in a BA3T:D

I accidentally ytped 12n25C. It is upposed to be 16n25c.

I will pick on BKsabath to make a point. He used the FQP19n20 devices in his F5, paired with FQA12p20. THe FQP is a smaller but identical version of its large FQA brother. IT has slightly lower numbers, probably a result of smaller die size as well as its thermal characteristics. THis is not the device used by Papa as stated in this thread.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pass-labs/148865-fqa12p20-fqa19n20c-discontinuation.html

All that being said, He loves his amp. If you compare his part, the orignal part, and the 16n25c, you see that the 16n is actually a closer match to the orginal. What that tells us is that the choice, if close to original specs, is probably going to sound great. I will try to publish as much info as I can on the new devices, but barring Nelson rushing in and saying these parts suck, I don t expect a great difference based on what I see in the datasheet. Keep in mind, that you have the great equalizer in P3. THis uses the FE to compnesate for the diffences in the output. Brilliant, right. BTW, I like the BA# better than the F5 and plan to put the diodes in a BA3T:D

Any idea what the prices will be for the a pair of 16N25C/12P20?

The 16n25c looks OK to me, just voted for it. Thanks for making the effort to do this.

Could you post some info that would allow other to know if they hold 19N20C fakes? Pics, tests, date codes?
Usually the cosmetics would give the fakes away. Is this no longer valid?
If testing is required, no problem, but some brief details on how would be appreciated.

I am not buying anything without box labels. Top markings can be a give away if the counterfeiters dont know how Fairchild did them. Needless to say, EOL stuff is risky business. Testing is best left to professionals who do full datasheet testing as well as die XRay. I will show curves for different fets at F5T operation levels,with and without Rs included. Will get a glimpse of raw response along witheffevts of degeneration. Hope to test proto F5T V2 for distortion as well. We will see what time allows. I have a couple folk testing the new fets and one in particular may show distortion results as well.

For instance, if i were to post a pic if a valid fet, a copycat could throw that label on a fet and have 20000 of them mad ein no time that would pass, except for not have proper box label an dbatch info. I can assure you that there are fakes with proper top amrking stha dont quit econverge, even in authorized distribution chain. YEAH FUN!

Last edited:
you guys want to add mur3020 to GB list? over 1000, we save $1 per diode.

Sure if you will help us source these at a better price them I am in

Thanks for a great effort to get these parts

On the topic of what to replace the 19N20C, I vote for the 16N25C. My thinking is that for all key characteristics of performance it is a near perfect match, only dif is the Rds On, but we ae notusing the thing as a switch so should not be an issue, and the lower current rating is not an issue as we are not running near the limit ( niether for voltage)

Regards

Geof

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.