F6 Amplifier

ok

maybe I'm too hysteric regarding DC through coil (even in range of uA) , but another thing which bugs me is possible variable loading of secondary,due to variable impedance of gate itself and very possible not enough loading ;

from experience - I know that sole worse thing than unloaded secondary is just heaven fallen on your head

ask Vikings :clown:

use highish value of trimpot , to avoid too much loading of secondary , or insert at least few K resistor in series with wiper

Here is a summary of the two bias methods. Method A places the bias circuit in series with the transformer secondary. Method B places a capacitor in series with the gate drive and biases the gate through a high value resistor.

In both methods, there is a capacitor in the path from the bottom of the source resistor to the gate. Method B probably has the advantage that the bias generator is influenced less by the parasitic currents through the tranformer.

Attachments

• Bias-methods.jpg
    Bias-methods.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 876
in fact - there is no doubt - you'll need to alter that value ;)

besides that - we are speaking about low impedance coils here - feel free to use greater value for C1 ; that's at least what I'll do

10uF Silmic + 1uF MKC is my poison

Is it possible you meant capacitors C5 and C6 in series with the gate resistors instead of C1? In post 739, C1 (and C4) are capacitors I added to simulate the internal JT-123-FLPCH transformer parasitics: 18nf coupling of both primary to secondary windings. C1 just happens to also be where a capacitor would be needed in the feedback path to "tune" the phase margin.

what you mean with parasitic currents ?

loading of secondary is of most importance here

My reference to parasitic currents is to the AC current due to the capacitance between windings. Consider the upper secondary winding L2 in bias method A. The bottom end of the winding follows Vout + Vbias. C1 is the secondary to primary capacitance added to the simulation to model the inter-winding parasitic capacitance. The parasitic current through C1 will be I=C*dv/dt, which will have a loading effect on the bias generator.

In Bias Method B, the bias generators are not loaded by the parasitic currents.

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Is it possible you meant capacitors C5 and C6 in series with the gate resistors instead of C1? In post 739, C1 (and C4) are capacitors I added to simulate the internal JT-123-FLPCH transformer parasitics: 18nf coupling of both primary to secondary windings. C1 just happens to also be where a capacitor would be needed in the feedback path to "tune" the phase margin.

sorry - my mistake - I wrote wrongly C1 , meaning on C2, all the time

so - C7 and C2 are right ones

I don't think you'll need any compensation cap -they're rarely needed in that range of impedance (common repeaters)

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
My reference to parasitic currents is to the AC current due to the capacitance between windings. Consider the upper secondary winding L2 in bias method A. The bottom end of the winding follows Vout + Vbias. C1 is the secondary to primary capacitance added to the simulation to model the inter-winding parasitic capacitance. The parasitic current through C1 will be I=C*dv/dt, which will have a loading effect on the bias generator.

In Bias Method B, the bias generators are not loaded by the parasitic currents.

agree , at least partially

anyway - issue of proper secondary loading is of much greater importance

that's just plain impossible when one side of sec is looking just in gate

so - that's the main factor for choosing in which way to connect them

sorry - my mistake - I wrote wrongly C1 , meaning on C2, all the time

so - C7 and C2 are right ones

I don't think you'll need any compensation cap -they're rarely needed in that range of impedance (common repeaters)
Yes, it is probably good to use larger values for C2 and C7. With C2 and C7 at 10uf, 25 watts output, and a 20Hz signal the simulation shows 3.5mV p-p across C2 and C7. Increasing C2 and C7 to 100uf reduces the "ripple" by a factor of 10, but doesn't appear to significantly decrease the THD.

sim or real McCay ?

if sim - just forget it

you need real one to play with
The frequency sweep plot was from LTSpice. I performed the same freq sweep with different values for R12 and R13, but the effect was rather minor.

Yes, I do not believe that the simulation properly captures the transformer loading behaviour. It is (past) time to wire together the circuit. I think I have enough of the parts now.