F6 Amplifier

Perhaps you would refresh my memory as to what resistor values these are.

R7 & R8 are 47,5 ohms (of course - thanks Botte ;) )

how it sounds ?
I'm afraid I didn't listen before taking the amp apart again, since there wasn't much difference in the measurements.

It has worked all along though, but comparing the sound to how it sounded earlyer (when it did bias properly with one LED) is a little difficult since I've been playing around quite a bit testing different output degeneration values. (I seem to much prefer a little negative-phase second harmonic btw. Spikes things up quite a bit to my liking.) Not sure but the center of the soundstage my have shifted a little towards the troblesome channel (left) and maybe a tiny bit of hardness..?

Last edited:
Oh yes - took it apart again to send the problematic PCB to Generg. He has generously offered to measure the SS and change out the possible broken one.

I must add still that people like this (as many of you others also no doubt - including Nesson of cource) make this place a more hopefull and human place. =)

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Jugi63,

Hm, I just looked at the measurements my friend Oliver and me did on the gate resistors (100R) of our SS when we tried to do a J2 like build.
And there we had with the 100R similar values to yours.....

0.6 and 0.75mV and the other channel 0mV and 0.3mV

But we had also SS with 4.7mV and 2.6mV

So you see your values are not lonely......

:)

Is there a possibility to have DC-offset to the output if one of the Fets (supposedly the one with "no leakage" (as I suppose that Fet, for some reason, has started to conduct with no gate signal)) is not rock solid any longer and changes its conductivity further?

I might want to change the damaged fet (which ever it is), especially if I happened to have a pretty expensive pair of speakers for the amplifier...

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
it is possible that part is , from some reason , slightly damaged ....... but what's more common is simple and abrupt road to perdition .......
however - if/while you're waiting for nasty surprise , you can place either speaker protection circuit , or simple fuse , between amp and precious spks

and yes - when right , spks are always more precious then amp ........ from simple reason - amp is much easier to bring again in flawless operational condition

that's why I'm having 1A6 fuse , in holder right to pos. terminal , on one of my spks ...... without loosing my sleep regarding relay/fuse/golden preputium debates

:rofl:

So, concluding from all your responces, I guess the amp is basically fine but maybe not quite top notch given the change in bias and the somewhat big differance between Gate leakage values. But also one of the jfets might be, like Zen Mod puts it, on the road to perdition...

Well, in some aspects I may be a bit of a perfectionist and I do have somewhat expensive speakers. So I may still want to try changing a jfet... we'll see.

A big thanks everyone! - this has been very educating... :)

I asked - does and how it sings ?
- post #5742

Last edited:
Joined 2000
Paid Member
F6 Board Stuffing

Hi Guys,

I'm getting around to stuffing the F6 boards. These are the white Tea-bag boards with the Jensen daughter boards. Looking around for a stuffing guide, but haven't had much luck in searching this thread.

I see that Q3 and Q4 are doubled up, e.g. Q3A/Q3B. Is this just paralleling or cascading for a modified design? I"m building the F6 variable 2nd harmonic version. Using 100A JFets.

Anything else I should be aware of when using these boards? Do the silk screen component numbers match the article as presented at BA 2012?

Thanks,

Vince