F6 Amplifier

Gonna need degeneration and I can assure you that it is one of the major advantages of the SS. That being said, I expect them to do better than IRF, but could be wrong. Have some Exicon laterals coming that will allow for no Rs, but they dont haev the gain of the SS or other alternatives. Fact is, all others are a tradeoff. Semisouth fan still has some and so does TeaBag. expensive like good glow plug.

Gonna need degeneration and I can assure you that it is one of the major advantages of the SS. That being said, I expect them to do better than IRF, but could be wrong. Have some Exicon laterals coming that will allow for no Rs, but they dont haev the gain of the SS or other alternatives. Fact is, all others are a tradeoff. Semisouth fan still has some and so does TeaBag. expensive like good glow plug.

Why do you equate having the transformer secondary connected directly to the source and having a source resistor below that connection with degeneration? It is not degeneration since the Vgs does not depend on the voltage drop across the source resistor. The F6 (and other similar transformer coupled topologies) is unique in that the source resistor can be used for DC bias and thermal stability without affecting the AC signal coupling.

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Why do you equate having the transformer secondary connected directly to the source and having a source resistor below that connection with degeneration? It is not degeneration since the Vgs does not depend on the voltage drop across the source resistor. The F6 (and other similar transformer coupled topologies) is unique in that the source resistor can be used for DC bias and thermal stability without affecting the AC signal coupling.

Very true. The topology has a lot of flexibility. I have built 20 F6's as
described in the standard design, and currently am working with variations
using other devices.

:cool:

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
well - it isn't

Spencer and h_a can cover most of it ( small Toshibas and IRFP)

I reckon we all can remember first GB of SS organized by Magura , later Zhoufang had them , Tea Bag , now you can still find them (I p/resume) at SSfan and Tea .

prices are not even big , considering what you need to pay for usual toobz ........... while sand parts are still more durable than vacuum thingies :devilr:

that's just matter of energy burst ........ you need , to find them

tomorrow ........ who knows

Last edited:
Very true. The topology has a lot of flexibility. I have built 20 F6's as
described in the standard design, and currently am working with variations
using other devices.

:cool:
Another device to consider is LM395. It is a [bjt] ultra reliable power transistor, fast, with complete overload protection; thus making it impossible to destroy. Give it the opportunity to compete with your other [FET] devices. Todate, no DIYer has dared to use a bjt in diyF6.

Who said i did. In my preferred version, I have a degeneration resistor on the top fet. Is this not an example of an f6 with degeneration.

Attachments

• 3_clip_image002.gif
    3_clip_image002.gif
    11.8 KB · Views: 322
Tea and Semisouth fan still have some, if you want them.

Semisouth fan has R100's? I wasn't aware of that. How much are they?

I have a few pairs of Toshiba parts. But one source isn't exactly plentiful. And prices are rising. I wish I bought 100,000 pieces back in the day. Would have been a better investment than a 401K :p

BTW Buzz, are there any extra Jensen transformers available from the GB?