F5m kit

I would imagine that if you increase the capacitance then at some point the first current limiting thermistor may need to be swapped out for something bigger.
It was suggested to replace the 10R therm with a 4R7, 7.5A for those biasing above 1A.
Since that point the PS has been modified to use a parallel pair of the 10R parts. A note/pdf was added to the first post

• Thank You
Reactions: 1 user
Joined 2014
Paid Member
PS has been modified to use a parallel pair of the 10R parts.
This is the new P/S board not yet shipping from the store???

Could the original boards be modified for more bias? With additional Thermistors?

For this dunce would it be better to wait for new boards and discard V0 R2 for higher bias and dual mono? Hoping store will allow multiple sale for dual?

I am way out of my depth here and hoping to learn something when others chip in to correct me...
However, I was thinking more of the first current limiter that is prior to transformer and not the two (or four) that provide the R in the CRC filter... my concern was if the capacitance of the first C (in the CRC), is increased dramatically then this first current limiter may get hot (and it's resistance drop), well before the inrush current is down to an acceptable level. The rational would suggest that a current limiter of similar cold resistance but larger capacity (thermal mass or rating in joules), might be needed.

Newly built or repaired audio equipment should never be immediately connected to an audio system.
This could damage the other system components if there is a problem with it.

Check the circuit operation thoroughly with a DVM and scope, do a burn-in, and then recheck.
Then (and only then) connect to a "junk" system for further, "live" testing, but not yet to a "good" system.
Otherwise, your "good" system may become your "junk" system.

• Thank You
Reactions: 1 users
@BeardyWan
The thermistor ahead of the transformer has been shown on prior drawings with a "CL60 type" reference.
FW amps use a 300va transformer with 60,000uF per rail I believe (120,000uF total). The same basic CRC supply with a 400va xfmr is commonly used, often with additional capacitance. I'm building out a dual mono version with 75,000 and will go with the CL30 that NP references in the beefier PS shown in the F5 Turbo article.

• Thank You
This is the new P/S board not yet shipping from the store???

Could the original boards be modified for more bias? With additional Thermistors?

For this dunce would it be better to wait for new boards and discard V0 R2 for higher bias and dual mono? Hoping store will allow multiple sale for dual?
Replacing the provided therm with the 4R7 7.5A version as suggested would be my choice in that position.
Just reading between the lines here but I'm assuming that the modification allowing 2 parallel pieces of the original spec may well be because, like so many parts, a very large supply is on hand. Happy to be corrected if I'm wrong on this. Cheers

• Thank You
Joined 2014
Paid Member
confusing update on the webpage
Part of the webpage was accidentally released.

The first batch has been sold and Mr. Pass has sent on a revised batch to the store which we are all waiting for.

When announced soon you will be able to order. I have this info only from watching the thread.

You won't miss out as you have signed up to be notified.

I have not started my F5M build from the initial kit offering as real life has gotten in the way. I have also not been intensely following this thread recently. With that being the case, am I better off ordering the new essential kit with the updated power supply board and using that for the build? If so, has the updated thermistors value been determined. I already have the higher value 5 ohm resistance EPCOS B57236S0479M000 but gather a higher value is being suggested. I apologize if I am asking an already answered question.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
With that being the case, am I better off ordering the new essential kit with the updated power supply board and using that for the build?
That is the Question not answered yet.

I will be doing both just to find out.

It depends on the store providing multiple sales to one member if Dual Mono. I've been on and off trying to decide myself. Sort of have to as we committed to the first kits anyway and won't play music stashed away.

A few moon's ago I asked if there was something between an ACA and a full-blown First Watt clone to suit my modest English dwelling. The answers were a bit too technical for me to understand/implement, but no longer, my sweet sounding F5m sits hot (and a little smelly - or is that the dog...) currently playing Nick Drake. So to all of you sitting on unbuilt first batch kits, just build and listen.

Reactions: 1 users