F5 Turbo Builders Thread

lol nothing drives me more insane than accidental loosing a post, ok second time lucky!

Rix,
They look good.

As I see you have two options on how to use them.

Keep them long and use two face to face to create a tunnel (preferably vertical with fan blowing at the bottom) to be fan driven.
or
Saw them in half and use as passive in a chassis standing 149mm high.

One pair, side by side would be 348wide by 149high by 75thick.
This could be a mono-block,
or use two pairs on opposing sides for a two channel version.

One big mistake with most F5t I have seen on the Forum, is separating the N channel devices from the P channel devices. This is probably down to the way the PCB have been produced.
It would be better to have each P next to an N. This N+P pair can be fed power keeping the loop areas small. Then set up lots of N+P pairs until you reach the dissipation capabilities you require. You could probably put two N+P pairs on one 149mm tall sink.
4 N+P pairs would make a biggish mono F5t, all on one side as described above.

Worth doing a FET + sink dissipation test on the bench.
See how much DC power 4 mosFETs on one 300mm tall sink can dissipate at the temperatures you think you can tolerate. Do this before sawing in half.

Hmm your thoughts on this are very informative, and has got me thinking. Preferable for pleasing my eyes it would have to be mono-blocks with sinks opposing each other. So sinks standing tall, the other option sinks stacked and opposing is good but do you not think as heat rises the sinks would end up hotter at one end ?

luckily from what Ive seen a couple of people have built using those sinks for F5T V2 and someone said that the amp was ok for a kid to touch! his were 10" tall mine are 11.8" so hopefully I can leave out the fan or add it later.

"This is probably down to the way the PCB have been produced."
You mean the diyaudio Ones ? yes I agree I need to think about that P and N separation.

luckily Im not bothered about having a tall amp, in fact I actually quite like it :)

Rixsta,

Using the same sinks for my F5 earlier and now the F5 Turbo.

I have them side-by-side for both these (F5 currently in progress, F5T cases are done but rest is yet to be put together). You can see them in some of my posts earlier in this very thread.

A single 10" length can handle about 80W dissipation at 30C delta. Obviously this goes down a bit in summers as the delta becomes smaller, but still over the ~60W requirement of the F5 (per channel).

Two 300mm lengths should manage at least 120-130W dissipation at similar ambient and with good mounting. Over here summers are about 35 degrees so keep that in mind. You may be able to manage to get more power into and out of them.

I am using a heatspreader and have not sawed them down, and mine are mounted at the front of the case. The heatspreader is 100mm tallx13" wide, so plenty of thermal footprint. You'll also need the same because those have a raised contact patch. Use M4/5 bolts to hold the spreader down, you'll have to drill the contact patch for that. The little lips on the edge of the extrusion, the outermost fins, can also be used for heatsink alignment using two thin pieces of aluminum and a bolt - a 'lock', so to speak.

magma on this forum has built a similar one, but with three 5" lengths joined by a heatspreader. Not sure how much bias he has been able to put into them.

I don't know why I didn't think of this side by side, I guess if made well it would not look ugly but Id have to work with it. Having them just put onto the back of a chassis like Ive seen someone else do is not pleasing to see lol

I had a look actually to see what the total dissipation of the V2 would be but didn't see that, I expect its just the total of the power thru the Fets and the Diodes.

Your using a copper heat-spreader ? I think I will go with this

"The little lips on the edge of the extrusion, the outermost fins, can also be used for heatsink alignment using two thin pieces of aluminium and a bolt - a 'lock', so to speak."
Yes, Ive seen magmas build or some of it, good idea. Cheers

Rixsta,
Create a wind tunnel using 140mm noctua redux fan. Less than 15dB of noise moving a lot of air. You would be surprised at how much bias you can run. There are nice fan controllers available that can keep the sinks at needed temperature

The good thing is I don't think the amp would really pick up much from the fan noise unlike some amps. Yes It would be nice to try and Up the Bias, however Ive heard a Turbo at half suggested Bias and even that sounded amazing to me compared to the original F5. Which makes me remember Nelson Said in the V1 Turbo that its more authoritative and that's exactly what I liked, but weather the V2 is more authoritative compared to the original 25w F5 I don't know but I have a feeling that's partly Why I liked the Turbo more. And Im not a man who usually cared about power or authority, I do love the Class-A sound and this F5 Turbo V2 has blown me away. So im here to try the build a second time now.
Yes Fan Controller, Brill. Im having to write all this down (Never do usually) lol

Rixsta and Sangram

Where can I buy those sinks?

Eivind Stillingen

Wish I knew.. mine was from Ebay.

Liliya

Those are on the catalog of many Indian aluminum manufacturers.

I think the original F5 amplifier thread had some discussion when I posted the pictures in 2009. I believe AndrewT had plans to look for similar sinks in European market. We buy ours locally in either small pieces or a single 72" length.

They are lovely sinks so I had to snap them up, there are others out there with pretty fins like this to be found. :)
I do wonder about what the difference in sound between V1 and V2 is. But seriously most people don't need more than 50w Class-A.
Its sound im into not how loud it is :D however if the V3 sounded better then an upgrade would be due lmao

Last edited:
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Sangram, thank you. I have been looking on ebay, but have never found sinks like this one. Can you help me with an adress?

Andrew, have you found a European dealer with simular sinsk. Any Adress?

Eivind Stillingen

If you want to buy manufacturer direct, you can send a personal message to magma on the forum. He procures mine - and builds my cases as well :) and would know who you can talk to for finding either an European distributor (at best) or a similar thing from somewhere in Europe.

Having them just put onto the back of a chassis like Ive seen someone else do is not pleasing to see lol

That's not the back, that's the front, and that's my build I think you're talking about :D

The idea is to get the front into clean and cool air. The rack they mount on to is customised for those specific cases and hopefully I will upload a decent pic in some time.

That's not the back, that's the front, and that's my build I think you're talking about :D

The idea is to get the front into clean and cool air. The rack they mount on to is customised for those specific cases and hopefully I will upload a decent pic in some time.

haha :) ok lets just call it personal preference, looks great btw. I think ill try another way :D

Great stuff, want to see pics of all your amps :)

Liliya

Those are on the catalog of many Indian aluminum manufacturers.

I think the original F5 amplifier thread had some discussion when I posted the pictures in 2009. I believe AndrewT had plans to look for similar sinks in European market. We buy ours locally in either small pieces or a single 72" length.

Sangram, thank you. I have been looking on ebay, but have never found sinks like this one. Can you help me with an adress?

Andrew, have you found a European dealer with simular sinsk. Any Adress?

Eivind Stillingen
I gave up looking.
New are very expensive. Secondhand just took too long to see any that came along in my patience scale.

Has anyone thought about P2P wiring a Turbo ? Also do we recommend the Diyaudio boards for monoblock F5t ?

and how about stacking sinks ? I'm thinking of making long tall ones and perhaps building them into speakers and building cabinets around them, with perhaps air cooling tunnel. tell me if I'm mad ?! Issue is the heat and the way it rises I guess.

SAM_1713edit.jpg

For now they are helping (quite well) cool my Hiraga 20W :D

SAM_1707edit.jpg
SAM_1708edit.jpg

Last edited:
Stacked heat sinks won't be as efficient as unstacked. Use one of the calculators, such as the one on Aavid's site to demonstrate. You lose about a third of the heat rejection capability stacking two identical sections. (like doubling the length) Your stack of three would be roughly the same thermal resistance to ambient as 2 arranged side by side. It may not be a problem considering how big they are, but be aware of potential gains.

The circuit isn't that complicated, but as long as proven boards are available, why would you wire PTP? Much less chance for something to go wrong.

Today I've built a little box with a dc filter, because I was worried about the mechanical hum of my transformers. It fixed the occasional "very loud hum" which happened throughout the day, but didn't fix all the humming.

I have a pot of epoxy resin suited for potting electronics here. Do I remove the plastic outer screen from the transformers before I flood them with the epoxy?

Here are before and after shots of twisting P3 a little, at 2 watts. Just one turn or so. The connection to the QA400 analyzer was made with a banana to BNC connector and an second banana jack to supply an 8 ohm load, and resistor divider network.

The divider network consists of a 1K in series with a 270 ohm resistor. Note the input signal strength. The pics at 2K are better but this is 1K anyway. I do not know if this is as low as you can go.... I forget if twisting P3 requires changes P1/P2 changes as well.... It would not surprise me..

Must I go back in and rebias now?

Oh yeah, just to let you know, most of the internal wiring for the amp was sourced at Home Depot... it's stripped 14/3 Simpul 14 awg home wiring. about a buck a foot, for 4 conductors ( incl. an uninsulated wire ).

Attachments

• before P3 adjusted.png
    before P3 adjusted.png
    421 KB · Views: 383
  • after P3.png
    after P3.png
    404.4 KB · Views: 357
Last edited:
Did it help? A lot?

I get only one chance to try it. If it fails I will only have the option left to buy new transformers.

Should have gotten impregnated, potted ones from the start. So sad to see the precious moneys going to waste.

Potting the transformers stopped all the mechanical noise. With music playing you would not notice the hum but it was annoying when the music stopped.

You can also soft-mount the transformer(s) so that the vibration is not transmitted so much to the chassis - it's usually the chassis that's making the noise, vibrating from the vibrating transformer. Rubber sheets under the transformer and grommets through the bolts etc can be very effective at reducing the noise. It's ok for the transformer to be able to move a *little* in this mounting. EUVL did this in the F5X.