F5 Turbo Builders Thread

Hi all!

Is the F5T circuit limited in terms of rails voltage by R3 (10), R7/R8 (220/220) and their symmetricals, since they form a voltage divider between output and gnd? I've done some calcs here as if the amp were ideal and driving a sine wave, and for not exceeding their rated max dissipation, rails voltage shouldn't exceed +/- 40V.
Since I'd like to use this amp with an existing PSU of +/- 60V (with less bias and more dissipation, of course), is there any way to circumvent this issue? Perhaps also changing R3?

Thank you for the attention
Daniel

You may also want to increase the values of R7/8 to increase the gain so that you can take advantage of those higher rails.

Also, watch the values (and dissipation) of R25-28, adjust them to keep the voltage across the jfets reasonable. I'm thinking of using 20V zeners in place of R27/28. You can increase the values to reduce dissipation.

Joined 2012
Paid Member
Ah, I always use this great post from Jacco to calculate F5 gain:

From 25W to 50W is +3dB.
50W in 8 Ohm is 20V.
22 dB gain is about 12.6 times. (18dB+4dB = 8 times ~1.58)
20V divided by 12.6 is ~1.6v input

100 ohm divided by 2 is 50 Ohm.
50 + 10 = 60.
60/10 = 6
20 log (6) = 15.6 dB

220 divided by 2 is 110.
110 + 10 = 120.
120/10 = 12
20 log (12) = 21.6 dB

Difference is 6 dB [220/100=2.2 20log(2.2) = 20log(2) +20log(1.1) = ~7dB]
6dB minus the 3dB extra to reach 50W is extra 3dB gain left.
The gain margin is for stability, read Bode plot papers (the name Bode is Dutchie lingo for messenger :clown:)
You may not need the extra 3dB gain with single outputs, but if you leave gain as is, you need close to 5V in to reach 100W peak in 8.

(for dB estimates, it's handy to have the gain factors for +1dB to +5dB in head)

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Buzz and Co.:

Success, glorious success! Thank you, thank you, thank you! The first monoblock is responding just as it's supposed to -- an incredible relief after the last frustrating week. As clearly demonstrated over the past 30 posts or so on this thread, I really couldn't have done it without your continued support. Many, many thanks.

But please don't disappear on me: there's still the matter of this monoblock's twin and two more stereo V2 amps to be dealt with. I shall report on my efforts with them, good or bad, as appropriate.

Warm regards this cold season,
Scott

F5T as compared to the Aleph J

I'm hoping someone here that has built the F5T, that has also built the Aleph J could post a reply on their impression of differences between the two. What was good? What was not as good?

I'm hoping that the evaluation was done with all other components the same...
(not asking for much....:eek:)

Thanks...

Aleph J is a curvy sultry woman and F5T is a good looking female athlete.

I can't figure out the other answers (cockroaches, nerdy librarians) as I haven't swilled back enough Sam Adams yet. :xeye:

I kinda like the "sultry woman". Not into the too athletic type as I could spill my beer trying to keep up. ;)

Just one further question. Anyone here been able to successfully get more output power (even a few watts) from their Aleph J without deviating from the "as designed" sound? If so, what was the final rail voltage, bias & output power?

Thanks!!

Bigger rails, more output fets. I have done monoblocks with 32V rails and 3 output pairs. Should have stopped there. Sounded wonderful. For me and my personal taste, F5T is a bass amp. But then again, I like transformers.

ZM, buzzforb, thanks for your replies. Looks like both input (cascoding for more current) and output (adding more devices) should be considered along with rail supply voltage.