F5 Turbo Builders Thread

Have you tested whether the Power Thermistor "alone" can survive a mains short to PE, blow the mains fuse and allow time for the arc to extinguish?

If not, then you are guessing !

And after all that can you test whether the Power Thermistor can be reused, or must be binned after the test?

If you search my name you will find my report on the testing of the "Disconnecting Network". Not only did it survive, the tiny 100nF cap and the 600mW resistor were both undamaged.

-if possible , input Jfets need to be of same Idss ; if going to multi output pairs route , all N need to be matched , and all P need to be matched
-if you buy Metal Oxide ones , they're already in enough low tolerance ; if using white ceramic ones (wirewounds) , buy more and measure them (with ccs , measure voltage drop)
-preferably , but not so important

see what's h_a is having to sell

Dear Zen Mod,
What cascoding input Jfets' how matching should look like between 2SK170(Q1)//2SK170(Q1.1)/2SJ74(Q2)//2SJ74(Q2.1)
Thanks. Raoul

ZM - That's the part numbering scheme on the store F5T boards.

Aft, you want all four as close as possible. I''m not sure what a good Idss match is, but I suspect .2mA or closer should be decent. Minor variations between the SK and SJ pairs can be trimmed out with P3, so get the SKs to match each other and SJs to match each other more closely then work on SK to SJ.

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
xformer is 400VA , presuming that you are living in Vaterland , with 230Vac mains , that means that inclusion of 10R NTC in mains side of xformer , will allow use of (400VA/230V) 2A to 2A5 slow blow fuse

175mF per PSU leg is on limit ( for 400VA Donut ) , judging only by gut , without any calc

make it CRC (with 0R1 as R ) with 1/3 of C as first and 2/3 of C as final cell

I need to correct you, I'm using 800VA donuts, these are more sweeter ;)

Furthermore I'm using Tea-Bags PSU pcb so it is CCRCC.

xformer is 400VA , presuming that you are living in Vaterland , with 230Vac mains , that means that inclusion of 10R NTC in mains side of xformer , will allow use of (400VA/230V) 2A to 2A5 slow blow fuse

175mF per PSU leg is on limit ( for 400VA Donut ) , judging only by gut , without any calc

make it CRC (with 0R1 as R ) with 1/3 of C as first and 2/3 of C as final cell

In the NPs F5T article is stated:

CLC? Go for it. The thermistor in series with the primary is familiar, and I
recommend the CL30 type. Of course this shows the 120V AC version. For
240V the primary coils are wired in series and the fuse value is halved.

So is there anything what speakes against CL30 from your perspective?