F5 Turbo Builders Thread

-if possible , input Jfets need to be of same Idss ; if going to multi output pairs route , all N need to be matched , and all P need to be matched
-if you buy Metal Oxide ones , they're already in enough low tolerance ; if using white ceramic ones (wirewounds) , buy more and measure them (with ccs , measure voltage drop)
-preferably , but not so important

see what's h_a is having to sell

Thanks for swift reply ... h_a ? please send private message, I do not know who we are speaking about ! Regards, Raoul

F5_spreadsheet

Dear all!

Right know I finished reading all the posts on this thread. It took me more than two weeks. In parallel I prepared a spreadsheet based on the articels of Nelson Pass (F5 & F5T) and what I have learned following this thread.

I hope that some of the skilled members will go thru it and make some comments in order to create a powerfull tool which will answer a lot of questions raised again and again.

The values in the orange cells can be modified and all the others will be updated according.

I am using since about 5 years an aleph_X and IMO the F5T-V3 is now the next step to do.

Attachments

• F5T_spreadsheet_V1.zip
    200.3 KB · Views: 193
Well-lit, in-focus photos please. :)

You will be surprised what some members can see in a good photo.

Can you describe the issue in more detail?

Do you have a variac or light-bulb test lead?

The DC on the terminals and the voltage across the source resistors are way too high right off the bat.
With 20VAC input I get .896V on the speaker outputs,
.524V on R17, R18
.507V on R19, R20
.474V on R21, R22
.543V on R23, R24

Ambient temperature 26.5°C with the MUR diodes at 2°C above that, and the output transistors at 6° above ambient.

I've tried the trimpots P2 and P3 at all the way CCW and also full CW and they don't change any of the measurements.
P1 does nothing either.

Pulled P2 and the parallel resistor to check their values and see if they are functioning and they measure just fine out of circuit.

I also measured for shorted to ground output devices, all checked OK.
All polarities are correct.
No miswirings.
I checked every part on the board for value (visually) and they all match the schematic.
Both amplifiers exhibit the same issue on both the N and P side.

Power supply is working fine, I have 33.5V unloaded on both rails, both amplifiers, ±.1V.

xxoeZcp.jpg

jrIjK1x.jpg

BE9Etfy.jpg

WfoC9VW.jpg

photos are in dedicated thread , just posted
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pass...-area-willing-take-challenging-f5t-issue.html
however , taking in account wiring/placement of half mosfets , that's case for not faint in heart ........ in vivo

Here is the link

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pass...-area-willing-take-challenging-f5t-issue.html

It's not ideal, I know, originally I was going to do just a single chassis build, but the friend I'm building this for pressured me into making them into monoblocks and then after that into smaller and smaller monoblocks, so what you see is the result. I'm at wit's end here, normally I just build speakers, and can trouble shoot those much better.

GND - BRDIGE???

A question from my side to the more advanced audio cracks here. Do I really need that gnd bridge? I'm actually planning to use only thar thermistor to the gnd and I'm wondering myself why I should need that bridge?

In my last F5 build everything worked fine without tha bridge.

Any suggestion?

Cheers,
Mallard

Hi,
I am near to complete the F5T and I have a question about the ground loop isolation. I attach a sketch (really a "sketch" and I hope is readable) where I show the ground connection only. As you can see is a dual mono that in common have only the 220V power supply.
In the sketch I show in blue the 2 bridge with the 2 thermistor. Is acceptable to connect the loop to the PSU or should be on the star point? Actually I have no more room on the FE. The connection of the negative of the speakers was really complicated.
Thanks and Regards,
Enrico