F5 power amplifier

Has anybody tried to tweak F5 with P3 so its spectrum of distortion at 1 W is like this of F7
with 10 dB between 2nd and 3rd harmonic?
The distortion harmonics of my F5 with P3 at the middle position look like this: F5_spectrum.LeftCh.jpg F7-Harmonics.jpg

Joined 2005
Paid Member
I just built an F5 with a +/-30V SMPS in a bit smallish heatsink / chassis. I lowered the bias to .40v across the .47ohm resistors, so not quite 1A. Heatsinks measure at 130 - 135F. Left it there - perfect.

So I guess I am lower on total available wattage in Class A, but higher in available wattage in Class A/B? Either way, I like it!

I just built an F5 with a +/-30V SMPS in a bit smallish heatsink / chassis. I lowered the bias to .40v across the .47ohm resistors, so not quite 1A. Heatsinks measure at 130 - 135F. Left it there - perfect.

So I guess I am lower on total available wattage in Class A, but higher in available wattage in Class A/B? Either way, I like it!
Sounds good - thanks

I'm playing around with a fan cooled F5 at the moment but running into bias problems. I'm using cviller's V1 board (2009-03-14) that I found in one of my drawers that I assembled using a TechDIY parts kit about 10 years ago but never built into a complete amp.

On first turn on I was only able to bias to about 0.22V across R11 / R12 with zero output offset with P2 at maximum. I swapped the resistors across the trimmers (R3/R4) to 4.75k. That helped a bit, now I can reach about 0.32V across the bias resistors, but again I am out of adjustment on the P2 trimmer.
Is it safe to increase the value of R3 and R4 further? Is there something else funky going on?

I'm testing with a pair of unfiltered SMPS as my power supply for now, they hold steady at 23.9V while I adjust bias.
I'm not sure what grade / Idss my JFETs are. My power transistors have some numbers on the back (for matching?) see pics below. I took a shot in the dark and swapped out my N-channel, no difference in behavior.
Please note that the resistor labels have changed on the latest schematic / board. I've attached the schematic these boards used.

Attachments

• PXL_20220102_010136844.jpg
    PXL_20220102_010136844.jpg
    425.2 KB · Views: 324
  • MosFET markings.jpg
    MosFET markings.jpg
    325 KB · Views: 322
  • F5 Schematic 2008.png
    F5 Schematic 2008.png
    146.5 KB · Views: 361
Last edited:
you can measure voltage across 10R JFet source resistors, to know what their Iq is

if everything is behaving, but you're short with mos Iq, feel free to increase JFet drain resistances (R3,R4 according to sch you posted)

I just started to measure, saw 46mV on R1 and 24mV on R2, implies N-JFET Iq is 4.6mA and P-JFET Iq is 2.4mA. Thought to myself, hmm those should be more equal, then watched as N-mos bias went to zero, offset voltage went to 7V. Got scared and turned it off.

I turned both trimmers back down to zero. Powered back up. Now I measure 288mV on R1 and 27mV on R2. No smoke came out, but I'm guessing the N JFET is :flame:, maybe the P too?

I want to build the v3 of this amp, but the DIYAudio marketplace seems to be out of the match JFETs - the hard to come by Toshibas. I was hoping I could get insight into whether they will be able to restock these or whether there was another source. I am ready to pull the trigger on the boards, PS, Deluxe 4U case, etc. Just missing these parts to have my BOM ready to go.

I want to build the v3 of this amp, but the DIYAudio marketplace seems to be out of the match JFETs - the hard to come by Toshibas. I was hoping I could get insight into whether they will be able to restock these or whether there was another source. I am ready to pull the trigger on the boards, PS, Deluxe 4U case, etc. Just missing these parts to have my BOM ready to go.
They are available from seller punkydawgs on eBay.

Joined 2002
Paid Member
mamsterla,

The store has the 6mA to 8mA Idss jfets available: https://diyaudiostore.com/collections/frontpage/products/matched-jfets?variant=39335247020105

Those will be fine for an F5.

Edit: Also, may I suggest you use a higher power resistor (say 2W) for the 10 ohm source resistors for the jfets (R3 and R4) in the schematics on page 2 here: https://firstwatt.com/pdf/art_f5_turbo.pdf . The reason is that as the voltage level approaches clipping (near +/-20-ish volts), the peak dissipations at R3 and R4 are over one watt.

Last edited:
Has anybody tried to tweak F5 with P3 so its spectrum of distortion at 1 W is like this of F7
with 10 dB between 2nd and 3rd harmonic?
The distortion harmonics of my F5 with P3 at the middle position look like this: View attachment 1010171 View attachment 1010172
your F5 with P3 centred certainly looks different to mine, you've around 23dB difference between H2 & 3.. you've quite a bit of noise in your plot too

here's my F5 with P3 centred by turns and also 2 turns from centre
for interest I also attached my ACA plot
think I'll centre P3 by resistance next time I've the amp lid off and see what I get

Attachments

• F5 THD centre position.jpg
    F5 THD centre position.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 140
  • F5 THD 2 turns CCW.jpg
    F5 THD 2 turns CCW.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 114
  • ACA THD right ch.jpg
    ACA THD right ch.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 127
Last edited: