F5 power amplifier

Under each piece of blue heatshrink tubing is a gate stopper resistor. The F5 amp has been running this way for years with no problem. The resistor along with the gate capacitance forms a low pass filter which suppresses any tendency toward oscillation.

Attachments

• IMG_1344.PNG
    IMG_1344.PNG
    394.1 KB · Views: 637
The extra gain is not because you need it. It is to keep the circuit stable. Read the F5T article and follow the schematic. If you deviate from it and try to take shortcuts you will run into problems.

And yes it's possible to build a front end with the f5 topology. It's been done many times. And even done by Mr. Pass. Check the BA-3 front end (f5 w/no feedback) or the vfet 2 front end. Or EVUL's F5 headphone amp.

Is it possible to use your f5 power amp as a preamp? Yes. But why? It will noisy (compared to a regular preamp) and it's built for current, not voltage. It's not a good choice.

It was just a thought. I've got a pre-amp I'm happy with.

Here's my take on the F5 - it's my first step outside of a straight kit build so I kept it as vanilla as I could. It took me a while to distill all of the help and knowledge from this forum and Papa Pass' website.

Parts selection is suitably over-spec'd as I guess is expected for a novice without an EE background. The transformer is mounted on a galvanised steel timber brace, not how I planned to do it originally, but you gotta make the most of the space you've got.

DC offset is around 20mV at startup and sinks down to 1 or 2mV once things heat up - I feel pretty chuffed at that. Bias is as suggested in the original article at 1.3A.

I had a bit of auditable hum with the "old wiring" (first internal shot) but some tips from a nice chap in a chat room, a bit of twisting and re-routing and I'm down to a barely audible hum (second internal shot).

It sounds simply wonderful - super pleased with how things turned out - this site is an amazing resource - thanks to everyone that makes it what it is!

Attachments

• old wiring.jpg
    old wiring.jpg
    950.4 KB · Views: 538
  • mains routing.jpg
    mains routing.jpg
    827.6 KB · Views: 609
  • mains closeup.jpg
    mains closeup.jpg
    677.7 KB · Views: 479
  • input closeup.jpg
    input closeup.jpg
    598.4 KB · Views: 418
  • new internals.jpg
    new internals.jpg
    885.8 KB · Views: 231
  • arty 1.jpg
    arty 1.jpg
    789.3 KB · Views: 227
  • arty 2.jpg
    arty 2.jpg
    950.5 KB · Views: 223
Last edited:
Here's my take on the F5 - it's my first step outside of a straight kit build so I kept it as vanilla as I could. It took me a while to distill all of the help and knowledge from this forum and Papa Pass' website.

Parts selection is suitably over-spec'd as I guess is expected for a novice without an EE background. The transformer is mounted on a galvanised steel timber brace, not how I planned to do it originally, but you gotta make the most of the space you've got.

DC offset is around 20mV at startup and sinks down to 1 or 2mV once things heat up - I feel pretty chuffed at that. Bias is as suggested in the original article at 1.3A.

I had a bit of auditable hum with the "old wiring" (first internal shot) but some tips from a nice chap in a chat room, a bit of twisting and re-routing and I'm down to a barely audible hum (second internal shot).

It sounds simply wonderful - super pleased with how things turned out - this site is an amazing resource - thanks to everyone that makes it what it is!

Super nice build! If it doesn't get too hot you can try .7V across the source resistors.

heya all, sorry if similar question has been asked before but 16k+ posts is really huge reading material..

ok, here is the question... will this heatsink be suitable for F5, dimensions are in pic (ofc I plan to use two of them, one for each channel).

tranny I plan to use is 2x17V 300VA, output devices IRFP's.
It will be hooked on B&W685 in cca.20m2 living room...

tnx :up:

Attachments

• 20200416_1614202.jpg
    20200416_1614202.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 222