F5 power amplifier

Mounting output devices in the top region of the sinks will render the the lower part of the sinks less to non-effective. Wich leaves the upper region to run hotter. Hotter sinks=hotter outputs.
The baseplate thickness also plays a role here. Effective heatspreading distance around the outputs is determined by the baseplate thickness.

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
I've built the F5T with the boards mounted Fet side down and with Fet side up. I haven't seen much difference in operation and device heat.

Logic says to put your hot things lower on the heatsink, as heat tends to rise, and the cooling air will be at it's lowest temperature there. But, in what little I have done, there seems to be almost no difference in practice.

Mounting output devices in the top region of the sinks will render the the lower part of the sinks less to non-effective
Why? Heatspread in the sink is omnidirectional.
So it' all about airflow. Probably there is better airflow by setting the hottest point higher and it outweighs the effect of cooler air reaching the hottest point first.
When heating at the bottom you will heat up the upper sink area by the heated air coming from the bottom, or at least you have less cooling in the upper area.
How to decide? By trying, not by "simple logic" which can be just wrong intuition.

Why? Heatspread in the sink is omnidirectional.
So it' all about airflow. Probably there is better airflow by setting the hottest point higher and it outweighs the effect of cooler air reaching the hottest point first.
When heating at the bottom you will heat up the upper sink area by the heated air coming from the bottom, or at least you have less cooling in the upper area.
How to decide? By trying, not by "simple logic" which can be just wrong intuition.

if you read the last part i wrote, you will find a hint.