F5 power amplifier

Ok, I'm not sure if I should open another thread or ask here, but I plan to build two F5 mono blocks and had some questions.
First I would like to keep them small, and was thinking about going with 2x15V 160VA transformers instead of the original 2x18V. Reason would be to need less heat sink area and be able to build them "smaller" so I was hoping to have to loose less power trough the heat sinks. And then : does anybody have a link to a nice calculator for heatsinks ? I once had a link for a very nice calculator that would show the heat on the heat sink depending on positioning and so on - really very nice in order to optimise the placement of the heat sources, but I can not find it anymore.
So, has anybody tried a "undervoltage" F5 ?

Regards, Stefan

hello. that will work.
regarding calculator. use math:)
max temp rise / dissepation / 1,25 = C/W rating.
placement. 1/3 up from the bottom end. and the sinks can spread the heat in a radius of 10x baseplate thickness:)

Joined 2003
Paid Member
It works ,I guess some folks don't like patches,lol What werks is ok for me,lol!
You know I am amazed with this amp,I have some old RS meters for speaker outputs ,I am putting 5 watts out and it's pretty loud,
I use a pair of kustom 200 watt stage monitors,kinda my test speakers,I don't know the spl,but they drive pretty ez,kinda blows you away,,,,GREAT design Nelson,Thank You!
thanks!
NS

Stage monitors eh? Yes the F-5 likes efficient speaks. I'm using JBL 4507 boxes, 5 cu ft with JBL 2235H tuned similar to 4430 monitor, same LP cross over and zobel mated to "Econowave deluxe" HP with QSC wave guide and B&C DE 250 on top.
F-5 drives the crap out of them, current F-5 build will use 200 or 220 on the feedback resistors, giving more gain. Leaving the limiting circuitry off this one as well.

Russellc

yes I am at 220 r on them now Those stage monitors where from my old rock and roll days <still have the frontend equipment,sold the speakers no where to keep them, It's been a while ago but had 6 jbl cabinets powered with Qsc and crown amps ,would shake your pants legs,about 75 yards away WE where asked to turn down more than once,lol.Did you see what they did to paul McCarthney and bruce Springsteen ,I laughed 10 pm too,maybe 2 am.....sick,lol.

I tried to searc a bit and came up with the modifications that Franz has made for his mini F5 that is running on 15Vdc
Now, somehow I find it hard to source the Toshibas, either 2SK1350/2SJ201 or 2SK2013/2SJ313. I can however get the IRFP9240/240 at regular basis, but I understood that they are not recomended for low rail voltage. What would be a good replacement for the Toshibas ?
Regards, Stefan

Thermistor helpppppppppppp please

Hello

Can someone let me know if I can use these thermistor for my F5 please..
New 10 x 4.7K OHM 472 NTC Thermistor 5mm | eBay
I do not like to purchase parts from Epay since I burned my fingers a couple time but what can I do?
To order from Mouser only these parts shipping is horrible.
I did ask if someone if has some extra unfortunately I didn't got any offer.:eek:
Thank you for any help, advise and positive comment!

Greetings Gabor:)

Thank you Zen Mod

Yes Mouser or Digi-Key ship small packet with tracking number around $$ plus $5 handling under $50 or $100 purchase ..........
Wast of money!!!!!!!!! when the parts cost Penny..s/each

Greetings Gabor

First off, Mouser and Digikey are two different animals. Digikey's customer service are clueless morons. More than once they've messed my up orders or shipped incomplete orders or partial quanities when they supposedly had the product in stock and and then blamed me. The only customer service I've found that's worse is Future Electronics. That's a company I wil never deal with again.

At Mouser they're always friendly and very knowledgable. Never had a problem in over 20 years dealing with them. Last I knew they would still ship small orders and envelopes for the cost of the first class postage with no additional charges. Do you really need a tracking number for a $2 order?

It's worth it to me to spend a couple dollars more to get parts I know are of good quality than waiting a month for questionable cheap parts of from ebay.

Hello
No I do not need tracking number, most of the time they ask for it specially if you pay via pay pal.
Also that $5 handling fee because need only 4PC thermistor........
I got them from ebay.
These not about the parts value the high shipping cost (handling fee so on) Specially at Digi Key..
The reason first ask on the forum I thought someone has some left over and I would take them, shipped in a envelope.
Any way thanks for the help.
I have time since I need to each my own PC boards, just finished design.
Also I just purchased a 2x24V 820VA transformer, still wait to receive it.
For the turbo version1...

Greetings Gabor