F5 power amplifier

You're about to be assaulted/insulted by a Scottish shepherd.

If the shepherd (AndrewT?) can guide me back to the right path, I will have to accept that... In my defense: I used the bulb whenever I could... tested it with bulb, tested it again with bulb, tested again with bulb, tested without bulb, tested again without bulb.... tested with load+source: Smoke.

Grounding scheme

f5 gnding.jpg

I did...! One channel only, both the bad one and the 'good' one give this result: +\-7.5v!

Strange thing is that i did hear music! Not sure if that was on one ir two channels.

Edit: but hold on.... I now did another test, with a normal IEC cord (without bulb) and tested the 'good' channel:: I get normal input voltages again!! So the bulb tester influences the voltage to the channels (400VA transformer! 60W bulb). This also means that if I had the b*lls, I could test the 'bad' channel without the bulb and see what happens... I don't think I have them though :)

EDIT AGAIN... : I think my logic in the first edit was flawed... I have tested both channels before hooking up to speakers with the bulb tester, and the bulb went off like it should....

Last edited:
How much current are you expecting thru your LED? How much voltage do you mmeasure accross the nice resistor?

Was that an AM radio station? If you have the bandwidth, and I think you do, and if you have some gain, of coarse, and if you have some non-linearity or diode fuction... Sure, you have .5-1.5MHz being demodulated and filtered into AM radio. You probably have wires to long, this will improve the signal voltage. You need short wires. Esppecialy to the Gate of all the FETs. You should also have your gate stoppers as close to the output FET gate's as possible, .5-3cm or so is good.

Fet's are mounted right next to the PCB, no wired from FET to PCB.
but input phono lead is like 7 meters, the problem i had was the volume control, one of the earths was not connected properly for some reason, also i had the phono cable close to the speaker cable which nelson said is not a good idea since oscilation can happen. all seems sorted now just hope it stays stable, will shortern wires!
R14 is the gate stopper ?

Will sort out the LED later, cheers!

'Bad' channel got the fuse blowing when I power up with a normal iec cord

Ok... strangest things happening here:

I put down both trimmers P1 and P2 of the bad channel back to 0Ohm --> tested again with my last fuse and normal IEC cord --> Tataa... nice 47V supply power to the channel, of course 0 bias, and a little DC offset...

Then.. I though.. what the heck.. and I started adjusting the P1 and P2 trimmers... and guess what: I could just trim them to 0VDC offset and 0.5xxV bias... like nothing happened...

All of course on the bench with no speakers or preamp attached.

1. if you can rebias its very likely the amp to have survived the bad event (besides possible heat damage most likely on resistors without them being completely faulty)

2.what smoked?? Any damage visible? As long as the heatsinks didn't go beyond 60 degrees Celcius the bias should not have been too high.

Thanks

1. That's hopeful...There is no visible evidence of damage.

2. I had the lid on, so unfortunately i couldnt see what smoked.

I had already run the amp for 2-3 hours to warm up and bias. Then i unplugged it, carried it to the living room and hooked up the speakers and equipment. It had probably 10mins to cool down. Then i fired it up, started the preamp, and smoke appeared.... Probably within 10 or so seconds. Then i quickly shut it down... The heatsinks certainly were not 60 degrees