F5 power amplifier

I think that after reading and re-reading here and in the balanced thread I have a clear idea of what direction to go to play a bit with the circuit.

I'm very happy with my amplifier, this is just to learn something.

It's clear that the goal is to have the two parts of the p-p as close as possible. What is NOT perfectly clear to me (if this is correct) is why it does not make sense to twick the first stage only and not the second one.

Namely, I am talking about the addition of the 5 ohm resistor at the source of the jfet.

Thanks,

Davide

Hi,
If you are planning on doing the 5ohm degeneration trick you need:
1) N-P matched mosfets for each channel.
2) 2SJ74 with an Idss about 1mA more than 2SK170
3) either add 5ohm resistor between the 2SJ74 source pin and the feedback node, or replace R with 15ohm and feedback of 75ohm.

All three steps are required.

For Toshiba mosfets gate resistor?

Thanks

Help. I connected up my F5; one channel; following AndrewT's guide lines using a bulb tester. The neon lights up and I have +- 24.2V onthe power supply but - 0.5V on the output! Any pointers would be much appreciated.
Thanks Keith
if everything is OK and nothing is overheating and the fuses did not blow, then it's time to plug your amplifier direct to the mains.
Then follow the bias procedure.

F5 heat sink

Heat sink USA has a sink with 2in fins and 10in by 7 in which they claim E=C\W\3in of 0.80, so I'm assuming the 10 by 7in sink would be around 0.4, if E is a linear function to size. Has any one used one of these sinks for a single channel F5 and do you think it is sufficient. Any help is appreciated.
Thanks

Heat sink USA has a sink with 2in fins and 10in by 7 in which they claim E=C\W\3in of 0.80, so I'm assuming the 10 by 7in sink would be around 0.4, if E is a linear function to size. Has any one used one of these sinks for a single channel F5 and do you think it is sufficient. Any help is appreciated.
Thanks

I saw a post where someone used a 8 in piece of the 10 in profile and thought it ran rather hot. I think you need about a 10 in x 10 in piece. The F5 article mentions a 6 x 8 piece per output device. That's about 96 Sq in. per channel.

I am talking for Toshibas mosfets resistor gate (47R or 100R?)
In addition the source resistor can be dicreased to 0.22R without any changes?

Thanks

Hi,
The Mosfet gate resistors (R13 & R14) are there to prevent parasitic oscillations (like R9). 47 ohm or more is okay, although I'd rather stick to 47R or 50R instead of 100R. Too low a value runs some risk, but you could always test the lower boundary by using a trimpot and later replacing it with a set value.

I believe TeaBag made one with 0.22R. You can read about it in his blog.

Last edited: