F5 power amplifier

Yes it is the 18vac-18vac, I was wondering why the rail voltages were lower. Are the irfp240 and 9240 not advisable?(that is what I have from an f4 parts) apparently they have some type of distortion? or ok to use? I wonder what the distortion is?

Mr. Pass said " it is not a deal breaker", but I wonder if I really want to build in a flaw for the sake of parts cost?

All of the Antek transformers that I have used output at the as-rated voltages. E.g. "25 VAC" gives me 25 VAC. I cannot comment on the output voltages of Plitrons.

Ryan

I'm more concerned about the net voltage at the power supply rails of the F5. Not what comes out of the transformer with no load. Antek makes 20 volt model which may be better if the rails come out too low with the 18 volt one.

Joined 2000
Paid Member
labjr,

You will see a drop in voltage after the rectifiers and the recommended Cap-Resistor-Cap (C-R-C) filter, if you use it, which you should. It will drop a volt or so.

18 * 1.414 = 25.452, but you will lose a volt after the rectifiers. 24v after the the rect. and CRC.

20 * 1.414 = 28.28, that's too high.

Vince

Does anyone know of a good source to buy a 750VA or so transformer with 12V+12V secondaries? Seems to be a hard combination to find. I'm looking to build a pair of balanced F5 monoblocks and I want to optimize them for 3ohms prior to balancing/bridging them. The higher output rating is to allow for the option of parallel mosfets.

Thanks