F5 power amplifier

Hi.Is there anybody who came across oscillation signal because of ultra fast diodes at F5 amp?Thanks

You mean "ringing" -- I haven't seen it with HexFRED's or MUR-xxx diodes --using toroidal transformers -- the ringing is not just a function of the diode, but also the associated leakage inductance of the transformer and parasitic capacitance.

You can see ringing if you hook up a diode like a 1N4002 with an older EI transformer (with leakage inductance in the mH area). One of the members had some oscillographs demonstrating a few years back.

Ringing is high frequency energy which may be rectified by the PN junctions in your circuitry -- this can cause offset and non-linearity. If the leakage inductance is low enough, and the junction capacitance high enough the energy could get into the audio band -- not likely with a toroid and a fast diode.

Ringing is a serious design consideration for switch-mode power supplies since it represents wasted energy and the potential for harmful EMI and RFI.

Building amplifiers is fun.

But I spent more than 9 hours in the workshop, no food no drink, to reach this:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Enough for today. Tomorrow cabling, testing and hopefully attach it to the horns (at least during the first hours with big caps between the amp and the speakers).

Franz

Last edited:
Looking good Franz

Thanks, Richard

And also very big Thank again to Papa Nelson!

Soon, I can replace my t-amps by (mini) F5's, looking forward.

I was a big tube amp lover, but I found better solutions!

AND: my budget would never allow me to build 6 channels (the additional "full" two channel version will be built later, as soon as the ordered 500VA torroid is delivered) of top class (tube) amplifiers, like I am on the way to do it right now.

Franz

Last edited:
hope those sinks can handle the 2 channels though

Ohh, it will be a "Mini" version of the F5. Decided to drive very high efficency mid and highrange horns.

I expect 12-0-12 VDC on the rails. And I will adjust the bias to about 1A idle current each.

And then check the temperature of both, the heathsinks AND the trannies (only 108VA each).

I will find a balance and, hopefully, a sweet spot soundwise.

Franz

Last edited:
Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
hey Franz, amp looks sweet
I dont know if its too late, or if you can turn the bottom plate with supply
having trannies close to inputs may not cause any problem at all
but usually trannies are placed opposite yours, and near front, to get them away from inputs, just to be on the safe side regarding hum
but as said, may not matter