F5 power amplifier

A simple question, if I want to use a 2 x 22 VAC transformer, which gives just a little under 2 x 30 VDC after rectification and I am using the Fairchild output FETs, can I then use the standard F5 circuit as is? Ofcourse I would have to reduce the bias somewhat to keep the cooling requirements within reason, but anything around 10-15 W Class A into 8 ohm is enough already as it is, just need a little more power in reserve. Should be getting about 40-45 W Class AB into 8 ohm.

Last edited:
A simple question, if I want to use a 2 x 22 VAC transformer, which gives just a little under 2 x 30 VDC after rectification and I am using the Fairchild output FETs, can I then use the standard F5 circuit as is? Ofcourse I would have to reduce the bias somewhat to keep the cooling requirements within reason, but anything around 10-15 W Class A into 8 ohm is enough already as it is, just need a little more power in reserve. Should be getting about 40-45 W Class AB into 8 ohm.

You could have a look at the answers to the same question last week. :D

Link to post: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pass-labs/121228-f5-power-amplifier-796.html#post2200904

higher voltage JFETs

There are no 1-on-1 substitutes.

Problem for complementary JFETs is the P-channel.
Complementary JFET pairs with a higher voltage rating than 25V are obsolete numbers, for instance NEC J44/K163 (40V/50V).
The K163 is easy to buy in sufficient numbers for as little as 50 $cents, the P-channel will be several dollars each.
And not drop-in replacements, transconductance is less than 50% compared to J74/K170.

There are no 1-on-1 substitutes.

Problem for complementary JFETs is the P-channel.
Complementary JFET pairs with a higher voltage rating than 25V are obsolete numbers, for instance NEC J44/K163 (40V/50V).
The K163 is easy to buy in sufficient numbers for as little as 50 $cents, the P-channel will be several dollars each.
And not drop-in replacements, transconductance is less than 50% compared to J74/K170.

So no easy solution, drats!

Before I order anything I have just one question, whats the max supply voltage that a F5 cascoded and with dual pair of output mosfets can take, using the board from Cviller. I was personally hoping for something around 2 x 30-35 VDC, is that possible? Bias would ofcourse be adjusted to a total of 2.6 amp pr channel(0.65 amp pr FET) with a possible reduction or smallish increase depending on what I decide upon and what cooling there will be available.

Arent you limited by the max Gate-source voltage of the output FETs? +/-30V for the Fairchilds and +/- 20V for the IRFs, have I gotten that right?...or wrong...?

But then again, NP mention somewhere in this gigantian thread that 30 V, or even 35 V was possibly since the output FET's could handle it, but that might have been something I misunderstood.

(Im a FET noob)

Last edited:
I think you can use the 22VAC trafos without any problems, but I have not heard any reports about what is the highest possible voltage with cascodes and I haven't tried it myself. You need a large heatsink to run this beast though... ;)
A tiny correction: the standard current is 1.3A through each device, but you might want to go for a lower current per device.