F5 power amplifier

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Hi.My soundcard is emu1212M.I think it has several hundreds of output impedance.And i think i should use a preamp/buffer(maybeB1 buffer) to drive F5 amp.And there is another way.To buy a AUDIOTRAK Prodigy HD2 soundcard.It has headphone output and good enough to drive F5 amp.Which way is better? Is it a good technic to drive power amplifiers with headphone output of soundcards?(not to use a preamp/buffer and signal cables and I think it can be better for sound quality.because of short signal path and less components.
I use the same card myself. It is able to drive the f5 to max output if set to 4db in the i/o control panel. It works without any issues, but the amp clearly points out the entry level source. The difference between this card and the buffalo is pretty staggering.

My card is modded with black gates and opamps. Much better than stock, but easily beaten by a good dac. As long as the source is able to push about 5 volts, it should be fine. Most pro cards will do 4v no problem.

I use the same card myself. It is able to drive the f5 to max output if set to 4db in the i/o control panel. It works without any issues, but the amp clearly points out the entry level source. The difference between this card and the buffalo is pretty staggering.

My card is modded with black gates and opamps. Much better than stock, but easily beaten by a good dac. As long as the source is able to push about 5 volts, it should be fine. Most pro cards will do 4v no problem.

In the past i did not know +4db of the card and i could not get high power from F5 amp.The soundcard was distorting.I changed njm opamps with lm4562.The specifications of card is very good and you say that a good dac can beat it.How ? I see that most dacs does not have as good specification as emu1212m.I think i will use elna silmic 2 to mod capacitors.Is it worth to do?Can you show me your mod on another topic or email me the pictures?thank you

Joined 2002
Paid Member
I use the Buffalo (version 1). The version 2 is even better, supposedly, but a little too $$$ for me.

1212m uses a CS4398 - by any standards, easily beaten by PCM179xx, Sabre and Sabre32. A friend recently compared a Essence STX (PCM1792 and stuffed with exotics) and it beat out the 1212m pretty easily.

With most amplifiers, the difference is very small but with the F5, it becomes really easy to spot which card is playing. The +4dB is set from the I/O control, not in the front mixer page - it will distort if you push the sliders to +4dB. Leave the mixer at default levels, and use the monitor control for volume. For further discussion, email me - I'll send along the pictures in a few days - will have to dismantle the entire audio rack to pull out the PC.

umut1001, could you describe what the problem is? There is nothing wrong with a stock emu1212m sound card and it should be able to play just fine. It may however not sound as good as a nice cd-player, but you need to tell us whats wrong. The suggestions you have gotten are probably fine for some cases, but thats a lot of time wasted if your problem is just a driver or settings issue...

umut1001, could you describe what the problem is? There is nothing wrong with a stock emu1212m sound card and it should be able to play just fine. It may however not sound as good as a nice cd-player, but you need to tell us whats wrong. The suggestions you have gotten are probably fine for some cases, but thats a lot of time wasted if your problem is just a driver or settings issue...

hi.It is card problem and i will write to another topic.thanks

this is thread http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-source/158598-emu1212m-prodgy-hd2-output.html#post2047807

Last edited:
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Balanced input F5 ??

Could someone take a look at this mod and comment?
I have a balanced source and would like to feed it to the F5.

Attachments

• MOD FOR BAL INP Goffee_Schematic.JPG
    MOD FOR BAL INP Goffee_Schematic.JPG
    30.4 KB · Views: 650
Last edited: