F5 power amplifier

project is delayed, as usual :D The bottom plate is almost ready...with ventilation holes. Front panel still need some polishing...I see no end :D
I can not wait when I can start to burn amp :cool:

Attachments

• IMG_0195.jpg
    IMG_0195.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 757
  • IMG_0191.jpg
    IMG_0191.jpg
    158.5 KB · Views: 753
pls read carrefully :)

OK, one more time, extensively:
Vout (peak) for Nelson's standard edition F5 is roughly 20V
That makes 14.18V RMS
14.18V squared is 201.2
201.2 divided by 8 (speaker impedance) is 25W (RMS)

The point is that you get RMS value by dividing with 1.41 (square root of 2) - or by multiplying by 0.707.
Dividing peak value by 2 gives you average value (for sinusoidal signal), not RMS.
;)

I was recently corrected on this, so now that I have been enlightened, I will share the facts.

Prms = Ppk/1.414 = Vpk^2/(1.414xR)
Pavg = Ppk/2 = Vpk^2/(2xR)

Pavg does not equal Prms. Apparently a lot of physicists believe Prms is a misnomer, and we should be using Pavg which is Vrms^2/R or Vpk^2/(2xR).

Last edited:
OK, one more time, extensively:
Vout (peak) for Nelson's standard edition F5 is roughly 20V
That makes 14.18V RMS
14.18V squared is 201.2
201.2 divided by 8 (speaker impedance) is 25W (RMS)

The point is that you get RMS value by dividing with 1.41 (square root of 2) - or by multiplying by 0.707.
Dividing peak value by 2 gives you average value (for sinusoidal signal), not RMS.
;)

I was recently corrected on this, so now that I have been enlightened, I will share the facts.

Prms = Ppk/1.414 = Vpk^2/(1.414xR)
Pavg = Ppk/2 = Vpk^2/(2xR)

Pavg does not equal Prms. Apparently a lot of physicists believe Prms is a misnomer, and we should be using Pavg which is Vrms^2/R or Vpk^2/(2xR).

Prms=(Vpk/1.414)^2/R
=(Vpk/sqrt 2)^2/R
=(Vpk^2/2)/R
=Vpk^2/(2*R)
=(Vpk^2/R)/2
=(Vpk^2/2)/R

Prms=(Ipk/1.414)^2*R
=(Ipk/sq rt 2)^2*R
=(Ipk^2/2)*R
=(Ipk^2*R)/2
:spin:

They are the formulas for average power.

"In common use, the terms "RMS power" or "watts RMS" are erroneously used to describe average power." Wikipedia

Check the link below. Feel free to edit the wiki page if it is in error.
Audio power - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here is one more quote:

"The RMS value of power is not the equivalent heating power and, in fact, it doesn’t represent any useful physical quantity. The RMS and average values of nearly all waveforms are different. A notable exception is a steady DC waveform (of constant value), for which the average, RMS, and peak values are all the same.
It should be noted that the term “RMS power” is (mis)used in the consumer audio industry. In that context, it means the average power when reproducing a single tone, but it’s not actually the RMS value of the power." Roy Lewallen

Last edited:
Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
Backwards, or same thing ?

From my adequate experience I know what to expect from 25Vdc rails +/-
At least I think I do, or maybe just roughly

All I need to know is the needed bias not to leave classA, or when it does

And I trust Nelson to know, right
When in doubt, you get a clear "I dont know"

btw, are we forgetting the needed input voltage to get the full output ?
Well, its a variable :spin:

Last edited:
sinewave Pavg = Vpk^2/R/2 = Vrms^2/R = Ipk^2*R /2 = Irms*R = Ipk*Vpk/2 = Irms*Vrms.
we have variables of P, R, Irms, Ipk, Vrms, Vpk, R. Choose the formula that has just one unknown and solve for the unknown.

In the F5 we know bias current (Ib), Ipk=2*Ib, we know the load (R).
we want Power, that is the unknown. Choose P=Ipk^2*R/2 = 2.6^2*8/2=27.04W of average power when the signal is a sinewave.

current bias maximum minimum
.................................................................................................
Upper half: 1.3 . 2.6 A . 0 A
...................................................................................................
Lower half: 1.3 . 0 A . 2.6 A

Attachments

• j2k.JPG
    j2k.JPG
    12.8 KB · Views: 660
and the difference between the upper half and lower half currents at any instantaneous moment must flow through the load and the NFB if any.

If the upper and lower currents are 1.3A then the difference is zero Amperes and nothing flows to the load and nothing flows through the NFB.

If the upper current drops to 1A and the lower current increases to 1.6A, the difference (-0.6A) must flow from the load and from the NFB to the lower supply rail.

similarly if the decrease and increase were 1.2A then the upper would pass 0.1A and the lower would pass 2.5A and the load +NFB would pass 2.4Apk at that moment.

Note, here we have a ClassA amplifier operating in ClassA and the supply currents are changing from 0.1A to 2.5A. The supply rail currents are NOT constant, despite what many wrongly assume/state.