F5 power amplifier

As tinitus stated, the bigger, one-piece, heat sink is a better choice. There is a lot of heat being dissipated.

I built the F5 using these sinks: M&M metals 62430.

The case is an all aluminum DIY affair and I've noticed that the case, itself, is acting as a complimetary heat sink. I am able to hold my hand or forearm on the top of the heat sinks, indefinitely. For reference, the faceplate (pic attached) is 19" x 8".

Hi

Thanks for the link. Ive emailed M&M and have requested a quotation.

Nice case by the way :cool:

This thread has gotten rather long, and I am unsure which schematics people have or are using for the "balanced", the "X", and the high(er) voltage/power versions at this point. (yes I have read all or most of it at one time or another...)

If someone has this in hand, perhaps they might repost the schematics or post the requisite links back into the thread??

_-_-bear

Last edited:
btw, someone mentioned that new models are coming, completly aluminium instead the soft steel used now

Yup, it was me. Not yet on the web pages, but available are top/bottom + back panels made out of 3 mm thick black anodised aluminum. Drop'em an email and ask a quote.

P.S. For a std F5 I think 4U/300mm is OK (66watt/ch). But if yoy want to increase bias...... ;)

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
Oh, Modus box isnt expencive at all, thick frontplate and all
And heatsinks seems quite good
I dont think you can buy the raw materials any cheaper
I think its an ok price actually
They just dont fit my design

I just bought 1meter heatsink from Fischer, which may cost even a bit more than that
On the other hand, cut in 4 its enough fore 2x monos with double heatsinks of the best
But its more important to me that I can do my own design
But I also dont need to spend anything on additional materials

Might be a good price on these, but shipping and customs is a real killer
eBay Seller: barrredboss: Business Industrial items on eBay.com

But shipping can be real strange sometimes
My heatsink weighs in at 25kg
But it cost just as much to ship from our EU neighbour Germany through a danish shipper, as it cost me to have the same size/weight parcel shipped from Oregon/USA
Or it may even cost me less to order a parcel from UK, than it will cost me to send a parcel to my closest neighbour town
Strange world sometimes

Last edited:

I just bought 1meter heatsink from Fischer, which may cost even a bit more than that
On the other hand, cut in 4 its enough fore 2x monos with double heatsinks of the best

But it cost just as much to ship from our EU neighbour Germany through a danish shipper, as it cost me to have the same size/weight parcel shipped from Oregon/USA
Or it may even cost me less to order a parcel from UK, than it will cost me to send a parcel to my closest neighbour town
Strange world sometimes

I can vouch for this person, REALLY good guy.,

HEATSINK ALUMINUM EXTRUSION LARGE BIG 8.5" WIDE - eBay (item 170413440122 end time Dec-06-09 05:22:28 PST)

Joined 2003
Paid Member

Strange world sometimes

See also his web site: HeatsinkUSA, llc

Russellc

Heatsink size?

Finally piecing together my F5 project. Peter Daniel PCBs and PS boards are stuffed and all I have left to source are the heatsinks.

From a practical standpoint other than expense, can the heatsinks be too large? If I were to get ones that I could possibly use for a future balanced F5 build, would they be too large for a conventional F5 to warm up and thermally settle in properly?

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
Its a good question I have thought about myself
I think the thermistors help to shorten this fase

Anyway, it seems that exstremely large heatsinks wont be a lot more effective, but just wasted
Theres an optimal size fore every heatsink design
Which to a large degree seems determined by finning size
The heat will concentrate in a certain area
This will be the thermal stability point
It doesnt matter if you have 1meter heatsink that doesnt get varm at its ends
Its the area around the devices that count
The spread would be limited by material resistance
Beyond that the additional heatsink wont have much more effect than the air itself
I think it works like that, but not sure about it

Last edited:
Even though heat dissipation won't increase proportional to the size of the sink it isn't a bad idea to get one sufficiently large to build a balanced version. Also, some people mount their transistors to copper heat spreaders and mount the spreaders to the aluminum sink to increase thermal conductance in order to make better use of a large heatsink. The copper conducts heat more efficiently than aluminum and the large contact surface between the copper and the aluminum allows for a more effective usage of the whole heatsink. Of course, this isn't really necessary but the more heat you can dissipate, the more you can bias your amp which will give noticeable improvements in sound.

i hoping my heatsinks 11.25x4.5x1.25 with 5/16 bases are up to the task - this is the size of one heatsink. i'm using 2 per channel for a total of 4 heatsinks. below is a pic of my layout on ply. i really liked the fact that i could mount the MOSFETs without tapping a blind hole. i hope i can get the bias up to 1.3A. the second pic shows the 1/4" thick mounting bases for the heatsinks. i will need to reinforce the tops of the heatsinks as well, without choking the ventilation. i'll probably throw some shaving cream at the L-brackets on both sides.

Attachments

• 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    446 KB · Views: 770
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    366.2 KB · Views: 742
Last edited:
Heya folks. Resident Caveman here, going in for my first amp build with this project. Right now I am assembling the chassis and getting the parts together. I went with the heatsinkusa.com 10" heatsinks in 7" sections, 1 per channel.

I will likely be posting alot of rookie questions as I go, so thanks in advance for your patience. :D

Thanks,

Anthony