• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

F5 pcb group buy...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Re: Re: looks like a regulated PS

schro20 said:

But these only do as much as 1.5Amps. Nowhere near enough for an F5. What am I missing?

When I design PS boards, I try to give them wider appeal than just one particular application. The regulator section by no means isn't intended to be used with class A amps, but a lot of people are using those boards with CD transports:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I'm intrigued by the possiblity of using some large 'screw-mount' caps on the PSU board. I'm assuming I'll have to drill my own holes.

Any words of caution???

And, do any traces on the bottom need to be cut???

I've attached an image from earlier in the thread to show what I'm talking about...

Please excuse all my dumb-noobie questions.

Thanks,

Attachments

• pd-psu-bigcaps.jpg
    pd-psu-bigcaps.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 1,112
Heat sinks for rectifiers?

Peter,

There is discussion about using heat sinks for the rectifiers in the F5 (and I guess any other application for that matter) due to a diminution of performance due to heat.

Do you find that the rectifiers heat up in your application?

Do you have an opinion on this? As always, I would be interested in hearing what you think.

Thanks,

I didn't even consider using rectifiers without heatsinking, so it's hard for me to say how hot they normall run. My PS pcbs allow mounting rectifiers directly on a chassis, which I find more practical than additional heatsinks. Picture below shows one of my (temporary) test setups:

Attachments

• jensen.jpg
    jensen.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 1,454
Peter
would you please advise best way to do gnd connections using your F5 pcbs
I ask because I got ground loop issue although no connection on input and even using just one amp pcb
my setup - gnd Input from rca - gnd pad of F5 pcb
rails gnd pad of F5 pcb Is fed from gnd of PSU filter which can be seen with yellow wire
brown wire goes to gnd binding post

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=1807410&stamp=1240254247

Is there a need for "matching" rectifiers?

Peter,

Now for another question:
there was something said about matching rectifier diodes for bridges-
is this worth the trouble AND
can one do this with a multimeter?

I "measured" a few with my multimeter on the diode setting and could not get a repeatable value.

If this is a good idea would you recommend a method?

AS ALWAYS,
Thanks,

I don't think this is worth pursuing. If the diodes come from a same packaging, chances are they are pretty well matched anyway. I never match diodes.

samoloko said:
Peter
would you please advise best way to do gnd connections using your F5 pcbs

There is basically only one way to do it and it shouldn't produce any ground loops:

Attachments

• f5_grounds.jpg
    f5_grounds.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 1,445
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.