• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

F5 pcb group buy...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I didn't even consider using rectifiers without heatsinking, so it's hard for me to say how hot they normall run. My PS pcbs allow mounting rectifiers directly on a chassis, which I find more practical than additional heatsinks. Picture below shows one of my (temporary) test setups:

I wondered about how these boards and their output devices would mount to the heatsink. It appears your board is "floating" just mounted to the leads of the outputs? If this is sufficient, then no bother. otherwise, is the heatsink itself to hot to mount standoffs to the board? I assume it would lead to problems to mount them on standoffs from the bottom of the case and then run short leads to the devices legs? Seems they should be as short as possible? What rectifiers are those nice ones shown mounted to the chassis?

Thanks, Russellc

Last edited:
Mounting on leads from the outputs is sufficient. There are additional holes for standoff mounting as well, if someone wants to use wires to spread devices further way. It's been confirmed previously that even 12" wire runs shouldn't be a problem, but 220R gate resistors should be mounted directly on devices, not on the board.

The rectifiers are MUR3060

Attachments

• diodes.jpg
    diodes.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 623
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Mounting on leads from the outputs is sufficient. There are additional holes for standoff mounting as well, if someone wants to use wires to spread devices further way. It's been confirmed previously that even 12" wire runs shouldn't be a problem, but 220R gate resistors should be mounted directly on devices, not on the board.

Another question, when mounted as you show, standing off the leads of the outputs, does this subject the board to component killing heat, or is this just not a problem? I assume its not, otherwise I cant imagine you doing it that way! My brain just wonders....thanks for the quick ship on the 2nd PS board.:)

russellc

Joined 2003
Paid Member

There are a few different MUR3060 I see listed at Digikey, Mouser, and Newark
None seem to have the exact letters and numbers that are shown on your devices. Assuming proper package shape and a hole to bolt them down, will any of these do the job? Specs seem the same other than a slight difference in "forward voltage", i.e., 1.5 vs 1.7.

Back to reading the F-5 thread.....

Russellc

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Question about F5 board parts, TECH-DIY

I was looking at the Tech-Diy site for the F5 parts and have already got a question. Their F5 kit shows the following devices:

Q1, Q2 2SK170+2SJ74

Q3 FQA12P20C

Q4 FQA19N20C

Q5 ZTX550 PNP

Q6 ZTX450 NPN

Some of these numbers dont look familiar to what I have been reading here,
I assume they are correct, maybe different sources.

They also have what they call a "F5/Vishay IRF Kit" with IRF P240 and IRFP9240, which seem to look a little more familiar. Its only 26.00 while the other is 32, not that such a small amount matters, I just want the "right stuff" to start with.

Simple Question please, what do I want here, or do I need to go to other sources? Seems like several have recommended Tech-DIY, so I must be too dumb to chose, unless dumb luck saves me. Tips from anyone on what Tech-Diy has?

Thanks in advance,

Russellc

Last edited:
Joined 2003
Paid Member
FQA's are the Fairchild devices, IRF's are the Vishay/IR.

Thank you for your response, since I ordered Peters boards, I wanted to do which ever builders are doing here. Seems like I remember reading somewhere in the F5 thread or this one that he preferred the IRF, but maybe I have that backwards?

Anyone have thought or knowledge about these choices for Peter's boards?

Again, TIA for information,

Russellc

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.