F5 Bias Problem

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
inputs grounded ?

make this and try does you have any oscillation on output :

Attachments

• oscillation detector.GIF
    oscillation detector.GIF
    2.5 KB · Views: 210
inputs grounded ?

make this and try does you have any oscillation on output :

Input shorted or not, same result; off-set going back and forth, with a range of about 60mA. I don't know anything about oscillation in amps, but the word describes to me exactly what I'm seeing.

A couple of resistors, LEDs and a cap. Ok, I guess I can buy those & solder them together per shown. What should I do with it?

Please take some well-lit, in focus photos and post them here. You will be amazed what some people can spot on a photo.
I'll try to do that tomorrow.

Can the issue be on PSU side? Even tho one board seemed to bias ok?

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Input shorted or not, same result; off-set going back and forth, with a range of about 60mA. I don't know anything about oscillation in amps, but the word describes to me exactly what I'm seeing.

you mean 60mV ?

A couple of resistors, LEDs and a cap. Ok, I guess I can buy those & solder them together per shown. What should I do with it?

connect across output , whatever orientation ;

if you see Led's lit up , there is oscillation

you mean 60mV ?
Yes, of course, 60mV. :D

connect across output , whatever orientation ;

if you see Led's lit up , there is oscillation
Output and ground, i.e. "red and black" spkr terminals? Can do. Once I get the parts.
Well... What if there is oscillation? Some "standard mistakes" I should look into?

Or should I just start from the beginning? I've read there has been multiple successful F5 builds, which is the reason I had the courage to set my hands on this. But... Well... :(

Btw,
fwiiw,
and maybe some other abbreviation,
there was no any oscillation before I threw in the new jfets: bias was just out of range, but stabile.

It's discouraging, I know, but hang in there!!! :)
Didn't think an amp could make me this much depressed, but several months in making and the result being a total bummer... Certainly, I'm on a strange neighbourhood with the electronics, trying to make myself believe I'm not too old to learn new stuff by following a project description with a "plug and play" component package and a ready-made pwb on a project claimed to suit even for beginners... I'm feeling a total idiot! :mad:

pics,please .
Before or after the sledge-hammer and throw-away-from-balcony treatment...?
:D

hi Juuso.
You might have just answered part of your problem,you replaced jFet and problem showed up ,a couple of possible things ,maybe that fet is bad,try another one, or the bias resistor is bad or a wrong value,some times you have to add a resistor inline with the pot to get it to into bias area ,And you say one board works fine,You've got a pattern right there ,simply measure the voltages across the resistors and compare them to the board giving you problems,The power supply is a key if it's not stable nothing will be stable so check your voltages there first,That's a good thing about stereo you got 2 channels so you can compare them to one another when things aren't right,Good Luck!!!!!!!!

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Btw,
fwiiw,
there was no any oscillation before I threw in the new jfets: bias was just out of range, but stabile.

Didn't think an amp could make me this much depressed, but several months in making and the result being a total bummer... Certainly, I'm on a strange neighbourhood with the electronics, trying to make myself believe I'm not too old to learn new stuff by following a project description with a "plug and play" component package and a ready-made pwb on a project claimed to suit even for beginners... I'm feeling a total idiot! :mad:

Don't fret...at one point I was ready to swing my F-5 around by the power cord and let it fly out the window....you'll get it working, just hang in there!

Russellc

Btw,
fwiiw,

I felt the same way! Then I read this thread and now my amp is working flawlessly!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.