F4 power amplifier

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
if preamp is having more than 1K Rout , it's simply sissy

if that's is output stage of some source , it's simply just half sissy

25 years ago , when Rin of power amps were a range higher , situation was different ...... thought pro range was always in 600R area , having far more jewels than common drek intended for home use

Last edited:
The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
using only one pair of IRFPs and changing the bias resistors to 20K (or more?) what would be the max output impedance of the source to drive the F4 without input buffer?

The issue is usually more about the capacitance of the Mosfets. A single
pair is easier to drive than 3 pair, so maybe we can relax the output
impedance requirement.

Best thing is to try it and see what you get. You won't break anything.

If it sounds good, then :)

I have 2 sources (DAC):

DAC1 is 5K output impedance and 2.8Vrms, don't need gain for good listening volume

DAC2 600 ohm output impedance and 1Vrms, volume is too low

I will try DAC1 to drive directly one pair of IRFP, no gain needed, hooping that capacitance of gates and bias resistors don't load too much the output of the DAC

If I use DAC2 volume is too low, I need some gain preamp

I would try to avoid LSK because with shipping costs and import tax (customs) in europe, it would cost a fortune compared to the rest of the sound chain.

Could you advise me on a schema of a good sounding buffer (if with 3 to 6 db gain even better) not using n and p fets, maybe just BF862 or other easy to find transistor?

If it has the possibility of symmetric input even better, my DAC2 has symmetric output.

Try it first as is.

When it is certain that you only need a buffer with no gain, you can build the B1 Buffer. You should use the LSK170 B or A grade if you want plug and play solution. Other n jfets can be used only when you understand how to bias them properly.
If you want real simple solution, use regular buffer chip like the HA5002 or BUF634, needed lower supply voltage can easily be supplied through 7818 and 7918.

If you do need gain, the choice is enormous. I believe the simplest will be the BOZ Preamp.
Good sounding is very subjective. Reserve a more complex preamp for later when you have more budget and know how.

I have 2 sources (DAC):I would try to avoid LSK because with shipping costs and import tax (customs) in europe, it would cost a fortune compared to the rest of the sound chain.

I know this is a risk most people wouldn't take, but do you think you could find NOS Toshiba 2SJ74/2SK170 on ebay available in Europe? Being a little careful about whom I bought from, I bought good Toshiba's in 2017 that are quiet and curve match perfectly (US source).

If you could find a local source, it would be way cheaper than building any kind of buffer or re-engineering the amp. Just a thought.

I have 2 sources (DAC):

DAC1 is 5K output impedance and 2.8Vrms, don't need gain for good listening volume
A DAC with an output impedance of 5kohms sounds very abnormal. Are you misreading the specification?
Or could the specification have been written by a nicompoop. Ask the retailer if the spec is correct? Or measure it yourself.
DAC2 600 ohm output impedance and 1Vrms, volume is too low
This seems odd as well 600ohms is on the higher side. and 1Vac as a maximum output is unusually low. Download Pano's sound files and check your output at the set -9dB level.
I will try DAC1 to drive directly one pair of IRFP, no gain needed, hooping that capacitance of gates and bias resistors don't load too much the output of the DAC

If I use DAC2 volume is too low, I need some gain preamp

I would try to avoid LSK because with shipping costs and import tax (customs) in europe, it would cost a fortune compared to the rest of the sound chain.

Could you advise me on a schema of a good sounding buffer (if with 3 to 6 db gain even better) not using n and p fets, maybe just BF862 or other easy to find transistor?

If it has the possibility of symmetric input even better, my DAC2 has symmetric output.
PM me for a UK source of jFETs.