F4 Beast Builders

Attachments

• hair-on-fire.jpg
    hair-on-fire.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 444
Joined 2009
Paid Member
here some details about my N APT and P IXYS types.

N type is an old APT20M19JVR

P type an IXYS IXFN170N10

It seems that my P types tend to have a higher transconductance than the N types.....:):)

At 25V and around 1.3A I got around 7.7S and 6.5S for the two P types.
5.0S for the two APTs

and for comparison 1.3-1.4S for the IRFs.

So the pucks have 5 times higher transconductance here.

So I am astonished how less transconductance the IRFs show. Combined with the 0.47R source resistors, nearly nothing left. So I understand better why Nelson combines so many.

I put a 0.05R source resistor in P2 with the lower transconductance and it lost around 2.4 S.

Are these data plausible?

And to have a good neg k2 phase how much S difference is necessary?

Attachments

• Millisiemens of APT 170P and IRFs.JPG
    Millisiemens of APT 170P and IRFs.JPG
    280.2 KB · Views: 451
  • Lost Siemens with o.o5 source resistor.JPG
    Lost Siemens with o.o5 source resistor.JPG
    233.5 KB · Views: 452
Last edited:
So I am astonished how less transconductance the IRFs show. Combined with the 0.47R source resistors, nearly nothing left. So I understand better why Nelson combines so many.

I put a 0.05R source resistor in P2 with the lower transconductance and it lost around 2.4 S.

And to have a good neg k2 phase how much S difference is necessary?
Finally the light bulb turned on and the wise man has put his faith in the dumbness of picodumb. Hahaha

1) All of that is in the right ballpark
2) 20% to 35% difference is a good starting point, feel free to experiment. They're your ears that need pleasing. :)

Last edited:
here some details about my N APT and P IXYS types.

If I understand the plots correctly, the transconductances you are quoting comes from the line slopes between 2 Vgs values on each curve. The mistake might be that the same Vgs value pairs are used for each curve. What is really needed is the computation between pairs of Id values, such as 1.2A and 1.4A.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
If I understand the plots correctly, the transconductances you are quoting comes from the line slopes between 2 Vgs values on each curve. The mistake might be that the same Vgs value pairs are used for each curve. What is really needed is the computation between pairs of Id values, such as 1.2A and 1.4A.

Hm, I looked also at the numerical data and computed them for the pair
1.6A-0.9A and the corresponding Delta Vgs.
With this hand method I got the same results as with the automatic calculation.

Understandable?