F4 Beast Builders

Have the three witches of this thread ever thought of using lateral fets that are in production for the second stage - i'dunno, maybe parts from semelab or exicon - instead of the nearly extinct toshis?
---(am i making myself a fool, again????)----

anyway, this is the most thrilling thread I've read here in the last years.
cheers & bravo!
A.

Have the three witches of this thread ever thought of using lateral fets that are in production for the second stage - i'dunno, maybe parts from semelab or exicon - instead of the nearly extinct toshis?
---(am i making myself a fool, again????)----

anyway, this is the most thrilling thread I've read here in the last years.
cheers & bravo!
A.

Yes, this has been already thought of numerous times.
Certainly worth trying if you already have those parts laying around.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Hi Attila,

we are all fools living in a yellow submarine......:D:D

I tried meanwhile the circuit without degeneration in the second stage. The gain augmented in my build around 4dB, so I had to readjust the feedback or the OLG.

And I tell you.... I can not really decide if it sounds much better.... I would need a second system of high and proofed quality to make real statements.

At the moment I have the feeling degeneration in the second stage or not...is secondary,

more important seems to me the right choice of the gain resistor, the load resistor and the feedback resistor.

Here I hear the dramatic changes of sound, dark, bright, involving, dull......

:)

trip continues, hope my two fellows start hearing their builds soon!

Joined 2009
Paid Member
I am still around with lower values of 50mA for the SK/SJ.

Wanting the fantastic low values of distortion the original XA25 shows in the manual, demands really no degeneration in the second stage.
Then gain in the second stage with the SK/SJ increases around 4dB.

What would the effect be in raising the bias of the toshiba's to .3 or.4 amps and using bigger heatsinks

1) A little more open loop gain
2) Improved linearity
3) Reduced thermal distortion ie reduced to virtually zero
4) No thermal drift

I have mine around 120mA at the moment with the intent to experiment at higher bias levels.

Last edited:
By raising the bias to .4 amps and lowering the output in simulation it did squeeze out a little lower distortion. THD is down to 0.00089 at 1 watt. I wish the transistor spice models that I found were better matched. But maybe that doesn't matter I was mainly looking for a trend here. I see Juma uses the toshiba's in an amplifier biased higher than .4 amps.