F4 Beast Builders

Drain resistance at jfets will need to drop significantly for biasing to220 laterals, combined with the lower transconductance of the to220 lateral, open loop gain will come down significantly.
I'd still try it though.

All of that is true. I haven't decided whether to use Toshiba SK2013/SJ313 and cascode feedback to get low FE output impedance and lower FE gain, or Hitachi SJ77/SK214 with no feedback in the FE. My PCBs give me both options.

Hello brother
Have you managed to measure frequency response of your amp?
In simulation it is quite high (not a bad thing) but to bring it down to a sensible level I had to add extra resistance at the gates of k2013/j313.
If you can do that measurement that would confirm weather the simulation is reasonably close.

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
What is the best way to measure this?
I set Vgs=10V then apply a small voltage say 1V Vds? It might exceed the current output of my lab power supply ie 3A
What temperature do you want this measured at?

which else than working temp - say 60C on heatsink near to part

what I meant - instead of TL431 and NTC gadget , one can introduce 0R1 in appropriate rail ( thus most probably equalizing difference in Rdson between two sexes) and going to set Iq trough appropriate measuring of voltage drop across mentioned 0R1
that way , OS could be placed on much broader range of heatsinks ( count on normal Greedy Boyz behavior)

so , 0R1 , OP , one precision zenner , few resistors and one optocoupler , that's all needed for flawless bias operation

I believe that idea is recently covered around (lhquam ?) , but I didn't follow it thoroughly , just because it was in context of M2 , and I wasn't interested in bettering it

most probably still not interested in bettering M2

hey - but it's wakoo idea - input buffer , autoformer - interstage buffer - puck follower :clown:

mini F5T/BA3FE tweaked as FE ..... sorta boring ....... for me - exact biasing scheme Pa is using here , is that jewel worth looking for , in XA25

OK , exact pucks combo , too ...... believing that he did his own homework thoroughly , as always is the case ..........

which else than working temp - say 60C on heatsink near to part

what I meant - instead of TL431 and NTC gadget , one can introduce 0R1 in appropriate rail ( thus most probably equalizing difference in Rdson between two sexes) and going to set Iq trough appropriate measuring of voltage drop across mentioned 0R1
that way , OS could be placed on much broader range of heatsinks ( count on normal Greedy Boyz behavior)

so , 0R1 , OP , one precision zenner , few resistors and one optocoupler , that's all needed for flawless bias operation

I believe that idea is recently covered around (lhquam ?) , but I didn't follow it thoroughly , just because it was in context of M2 , and I wasn't interested in bettering it

most probably still not interested in bettering M2

hey - but it's wakoo idea - input buffer , autoformer - interstage buffer - puck follower :clown:

mini F5T/BA3FE tweaked as FE ..... sorta boring ....... for me - exact biasing scheme Pa is using here , is that jewel worth looking for , in XA25

OK , exact pucks combo , too ...... believing that he did his own homework thoroughly , as always is the case ..........

Existing biasing scheme works like glue, nothing to fix at all.
Certainly there are other ways to the skin the cat though.

The passheadphone diy amp uses an opto. Just playing around in ltspice I used the irfp240 and complement but I put two op amps, one between cathode and source resistor and the other on the anode and other source resistor. I used .01 ohm resistors and set the gain for 40 on the op amps for 1.4 amps bias. I had to put a cap to ground on the output of the op amps to lower the ac. It did seem to work.

The passheadphone diy amp uses an opto. Just playing around in ltspice I used the irfp240 and complement but I put two op amps, one between cathode and source resistor and the other on the anode and other source resistor. I used .01 ohm resistors and set the gain for 40 on the op amps for 1.4 amps bias. I had to put a cap to ground on the output of the op amps to lower the ac. It did seem to work.

That is not really enough though, I want to see if they produce curves that are representative of the raw part or not.

yup

and as I said before - I'm not exactly looking for skinned cat ...... I'm more about ways to do it

I need to finish this amp first. Once complete I will be happy to go back and entertain some of these other fun ideas. It is always fun seeing what tricks Papa has up his sleeve.

At the moment the bias circuit works perfectly (well good enough). I will video it's behavior.

Is this what you wanted to see PicoDumbs?

Attachments

• IXTK40P50P.png
    IXTK40P50P.png
    9.4 KB · Views: 339