F.A.S.T. Woofer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Another 6.5" sub-woofer driver that works in small enclosures, and this has also been used in the Tapped Horn design by Lilmike for the Exodus Anarchy driver:

Tang Band W6-1139SIF 6-1/2" Paper Cone Subwoofer Speaker 264-919

What a find!

I don't know how I missed that, I thought I had looked at the whole TB line

I like that just as much as the anarchy (except for the stamped frame) except it's cheap enough that I could use two per speaker.

With that I could have some more excursion headroom and be able to eq for a -3dB point of 50Hz, -10dB 35 dB. Now we are talking :)

I would just have to find a way to fit both of those magnets in there without having to greatly increase the enclosure size. Probably if I put on on each of the sides with one near the bottom and one near the top they could stack internally vertically and I could mechanically couple them to reduce vibrations.

BTW as far as baffle step goes they will probably be against a wall or desk. In addition the dorms are pretty small so I can expect a lot more room gain then I currently have (silver lining?).

Two of them, to make one 8Ω speaker
Or am I missing that the system will be bi-amplified with Mini DSP etc. ?
Also two mounted in the opposite faces of the box-
But also a distinct sub and satellite...I guess that many that are reading this thread are making some nice projects in their minds :
an 8 " mid :D
A CD horn :D:D
Ikea Blanda ( always on my mind ) :D
Sub tapped TL a la Volvoretrer

This sort of thing. Two 6.5" TBs per speaker (4 total), one on each side face. One full range driver on the front, at this point I am thinking Fostex FE108e sigma. Minidsp to crossover and EQ.

As I feel the need and get the budget I can add a sub for <40Hz and/or a super tweeter.

I am in the process of building a 4 channel 100wpc amp class d to power it all, though I might end up using my Gainclone for the Fostex drivers, 2 channels of the class d amp for the woofers and then the other 2 for subwoofers.

I want the system to sound good with or without the subs which is why I am designing for 40Hz bass

The goal of the project is to create something that sounds good enough to be happy with for 4 years of college but is robust and dynamic enough to work for small dorm party type things, with a target of 105dB full range.

Attachments

• Desktop Sealed.png
    Desktop Sealed.png
    126.8 KB · Views: 361
The nominal power will be limited by the midbass/mid/tw
A woofer on the front and one on the rear, for me it's better
because there's still in my mind the concept of making the system
passive, according to driver's parameters of sensitivity and power
limits, so the requirement would be to have a frontal fullrange emission with
also the bass . Probably a 3-4th order crossover is too much complicated for
cost because of the low frequency crossover point, and maybe you're
right about using modular amplifier construction .
...Also two woofers (not aligned) on one side,on some triangular/prism
cabinet ( with downfiring reflex duct ), just for the report ( I saw a box like that with two Peerless XLS 10" on one side ).

Also a TB 10" passive radiator ....

The nominal power will be limited by the midbass/mid/tw
A woofer on the front and one on the rear, for me it's better
because there's still in my mind the concept of making the system
passive, according to driver's parameters of sensitivity and power
limits, so the requirement would be to have a frontal fullrange emission with
also the bass . Probably a 3-4th order crossover is too much complicated for
cost because of the low frequency crossover point, and maybe you're
right about using modular amplifier construction .
...Also two woofers (not aligned) on one side,on some triangular/prism
cabinet ( with downfiring reflex duct ), just for the report ( I saw a box like that with two Peerless XLS 10" on one side ).

Also a TB 10" passive radiator ....

I can't say that I really see your point. I like having the woofers on the sides aesthetically, and it allows me to easily keep an eye on excursion.

The crossover is irrelevant because I can use the Minidsp to much steeper xo's than I would need.

At the frequencies involved the directionality is not an issue. Plus this allows me to put it all the way against the back wall with no issues

Couple of things:

1. Are you sure that the FE108E is good for solid, quality bass down to 40 Hz??
2. You sure 105dB in the dorm room is a realstic goal... I mean that is loud... way past hearing loss levels,right?

1. Of course it won't, this is why I am asking what would be the best midbass woofer to go along with it.

2. For obvious reason this will not be my average listening volume, but having the headroom can do nothing but help me. Also if they are ever used for dorm parties or anything then 105dB would be pretty normal as we would probably be more than 1m away from them

Missed that one earlier... pretty much an active 3 way you have in mind. And you also mentioned super tweeters in the future...

Btw, what's your likely listening distance? Have you though about room dimensions and layout?

It will begin as a 2 way, full range driver and midbass woofers only. Over time and budget permitting I can add a subwoofer (not with any of the aforementioned drivers) and a super tweeter, however neither of those are in the immediate plan.

Listening distance will be about a meter, they are designed to fit on my desk to the sides of my computer. The room is not yet known, but it will be a pretty standard dorm room probably around 9' by 16' by 7' (w,d,h).

where's Fast ?

I can't say that I really see your point. I like having the woofers on the sides aesthetically, and it allows me to easily keep an eye on excursion.

The crossover is irrelevant because I can use the Minidsp to much steeper xo's than I would need.

At the frequencies involved the directionality is not an issue. Plus this allows me to put it all the way against the back wall with no issues
Since they are woofers and not subs ..well, it depends, on how much steep
is the high pass : I guess at about 100 Hz at full power the FR is ok :confused:
So it wouldn't be a Fast design ..or maybe yes :rolleyes:

Since they are woofers and not subs ..well, it depends, on how much steep
is the high pass : I guess at about 100 Hz at full power the FR is ok :confused:
So it wouldn't be a Fast design ..or maybe yes :rolleyes:

No it is a FAST design. That is the entire purpose of all of this. The woofer makes it so that the delicate FR driver doesn't have to do any heavy lifting.

XO between the woofer and Fostex driver would be around 400Hz

Fostex driver: 400Hz 24dB/Oct high pass
TB woofer: 400 Hz 24dB/Oct low pass, 20Hz 24dB/Oct high pass (subsonic filter)

Minidsp can do all of the above easily along with some EQ on the woofer to lower the f3

Please notice the side firing woofer. Now picture that same thing except on both sides of the enclosure so there were two per speaker. Keep in mind that the design is fully sealed, with a small sub chamber for the Fostex driver

No add a crossover so that the front driver only covers above 400Hz, and you get the idea

Attachments

• Desktop Sealed.png
    Desktop Sealed.png
    188.2 KB · Views: 224
Listening distance will be about a meter, they are designed to fit on my desk to the sides of my computer. The room is not yet known, but it will be a pretty standard dorm room probably around 9' by 16' by 7' (w,d,h).

Hmmm... that's what I was thinking. So mostly this is a near-field application, with quite a limited distance between the speakers. Small is beautiful in this case; also less fatiguing would be a driver that is slightly more relaxed vs forward sounding or "hot" through the mid and top.

Also if a system sounds good in nearfield, it might not necessarily sound good at "normal" listening distances (and vice versa).

Last edited:
With that driver layout, I'd personally cross over lower than 400hz. Keep the xo below the baffle step point if it's like that. If it was one woofer facing in, or facing out with lots of toe in, that would be fine. But in this case, I'd want the woofers to be totally omni and within probably a 1/4 wavelength at least. I'd be thinking 200hz, but I haven't given it much thought.

The dual opposed idea is great though.

I am in the process of building a 4 channel 100wpc amp class d to power it all, though I might end up using my Gainclone for the Fostex drivers, 2 channels of the class d amp for the woofers and then the other 2 for subwoofers.

Can you have 2 separate gains for the 4 channel amp? If you go with the TB's you'll wire them in series(?) so you'll want the extra control or the woofers might not keep up.

With that driver layout, I'd personally cross over lower than 400hz.
I agree, 400 is too high for side firing woofers.
I'd be thinking 200hz
Or even lower if the slope on the front driver is steep enough.
The dual opposed idea is great though.
Thank you...

...oh you mean on his speakers? ;)

The reason I pushed the XO to 400 was because the very low xmax on the fostex drivers. .28mm is not very much, though I know that it can safely be pushed to more like 2mm peak to peak from personal use.

250Hz @ 105dB would require 1mm xmax (2mm p-p) which is the max I would want to go. 250Hz has a wavelength of 4.5 ft, quarter of 1.125ft which is a little bit more then the distance between the bass drivers, is that ok?

Also keep in mind that with the Minidsp tweaking is very easy, so if I notice any bad interference then I can change it

Can you have 2 separate gains for the 4 channel amp? If you go with the TB's you'll wire them in series(?) so you'll want the extra control or the woofers might not keep up.

I actually don't have any gain control on the amps. They are the Sure audio boards, I could add signal attenuation, but I was planning on just using the Minidsps onboard gain control, if there is excessive noise on the Fostex drivers from the Minidsp than I can use resistive attenuation instead on the amps.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.