Experience with this DIY DAC ?

Just connected the Jensen and had a listen.
Although my ears are suffering from an small infection(?) its easy to hear the difference with the monacors.
The mids/highs sound less bright/hard and give more 'microdetails'. The bass sounds more integrated with the rest of the music and the acoustics/space are more clear with stability and depth.
Now back to listening and enjoying!
(No resistors and caps yet)

Sounds good. When i changed from opamps to monacors i noticed a much better sound stage, imaging was much more "obvious", i didnt have to "search" for the positions of instruments anymore. i never had such a good sonic imaging before. its really where nice to listen to.

:D

It's the JT-11P-1.
Jensen shows a lot of specs on their webpage and they look like the best.
Maybe other trafo's are better but nobody shows all the specs so how do we find out????
Not connected yet, first the children needed their attention.:rolleyes:

Some posts above, I wrote some words about these transformers, and the "error" to connect 600/600 Ohms transformers
Some people agreee also with Cinemag 15k, as to be same quality, and a bit cheaper

May you have pleasure !
Richard

Data - I spoke with somebody at Cinemag who recommended the less expensive CMOB-2L(50% nickel) for this application. Apparently the lower nickel content has a bit less detail but sounds smoother.
Ciu - Amongst others, Neko(Jensen JT-11-BMCF), Audial(Jensen JT-11-BMCF) and Linn(Lundahl LL1527Xl) use 600 ohm trafos in their top line products.

I'm confused.

Less detail?

I believe the actual terms he used were "absolutely audiophile pristine" vs his preferred "warmer" sound. What's important is that YOU are satisfied.

On another note - I brought my CS4398 DAC with trafo output over to a friend's house to listen in his all tube(Jolida CD and Graaf amp) system. We played it for a while and then decided to switch to his Beresford TC-7520 DAC with LM4562 opamps. There was an immediate and quite noticeable improvement in musicality(PRAT). All the elements were there in both( details, bass, soundstage, etc) but the CS4398 sounded quite dead and lifeless in comparison. I never noticed this at home when comparing it with my old TC-7510 in an all SS system. Was this a question of system synergy, or is it just that his much more expensive amp was better able to bring out the difference between the two DACs? In any case it kind of threw me off my game a bit and got me wondering about my current setup.

Data - I spoke with somebody at Cinemag who recommended the less expensive CMOB-2L(50% nickel) for this application. Apparently the lower nickel content has a bit less detail but sounds smoother.
Ciu - Amongst others, Neko(Jensen JT-11-BMCF), Audial(Jensen JT-11-BMCF) and Linn(Lundahl LL1527Xl) use 600 ohm trafos in their top line products.

I'm confused.

About Cinemag, I was thinking about these : http://cinemag.biz/line_input/CMLI-15-15B.pdf

I 've tested JT-11-EMCF, one of the best performance transfo, but Neko audio use them with two PCM1794 , a "current output" chip, the dac is configured Dual Mono with two chips as "I/V balanced to unbalanced "

In a voltage output DAC, the load would be 10-20x the output impedance of the DAC chip (that is an "rule of thumb")
In a current output DAC, the load would be as small as possible, regarding the final voltage you want to have. The transfo and it's associated resistor "works" as "current to voltage converter".
Before to choose a transformer, you have to read carefully the DAC Chip datasheet, and adapt a correct load (impedance "seen" by the chip) .

Hope this helps, with my "limited" vocabulary

R.C.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2007
Hay McCrackers

My guess is synergy, mine when hooked up to a highly modified GRANT GS60 sounds more musical and dynamic when compared to both his modified Marantz SACD and DAC magic. Mind you the DacMagic is nothing to write home about.

But I haven't heard the Beresford only read about it, and I cant recall what transformers you are using.

So just a guess.

Last edited:
McCrackers

There was an immediate and quite noticeable improvement in musicality(PRAT). All the elements were there in both( details, bass, soundstage, etc) but the CS4398 sounded quite dead and lifeless in comparison.

Maybe this was a impedance matching issue? Does his preamplifier has the lower input impedance than yours at home?

Or a cable issue?

I strongly recommend to try at this point to switch a nice B1 buffer with symmetrical PSU, as line driver after the trannie.

And then repeat the same comparison.

My two cents :)

Franz

Do you use a R in parallel to the secondary?
And what trafo are you using?

Yes a 1K with 0.001 uF cap.

Tamuras which, in my system, actually sounded more musical than my other board with A-20s in a similar config.

Either the Beresford TC-7520 really does have incredible timing or the CS4398 with trafos had poor synergy with my friend's system. I'm listening to the CS4398 right now and it doesn't sound sluggish at all. But, then again, I don't have a TC-7520 to compare it to.
You can rule out psychoacoustics - it was quite obvious and we both noticed it right off the bat.

@McCrackers
I'm not sure what causes bad timing/sluggishness, but I guess the phaseresponse is one of them. So the trafo can do a lot for this.
The monacors had a phase error of 40 degrees in the bass and now with jensen almost zero. And that sounds really different. Less colouration, less resonances and less boom-boom-bass.
In the highs the R/C had a bad effect on the phase too and this really made it sound bad. (You should try without them and/or measure it.)
Then with the much cleaner sound you miss the distortion on transients and the boomy bass and this way it can sound boring in some systems.
But I like to hear the real low bass I'm hearing now!
But then I don't know the sound of the beresford.
Would be interesting to hear more opinions/experiences!

Hi xTr3Me

Glad that it worked! Take some pics of the finished case. It's good to see other peoples success.

I'm going to try and get some of those pin connectors. But I'm having trouble understanding the german! Do you get both the PCB pin and cable connector in a pack?

Don't suppose you have a few spare you could send me if I send you postage fee?

Thanks

Rich