Experience with this DIY DAC ?

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
Made a case from MDF and funny enough I think it sounds a tad warmer, or It's my imagination :confused:

Haven't mounted the transformers properly yet though.

Anyway, I'm just using metal film resistors from Jaycar, just after suggestions on what quality resistors to try in place of the cheap ones from Jaycar?

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Yeah they are cheap.

Had a look at the Vishay foils :eek: only $869.20 each if you get 25, would like some of those :rolleyes:

ATM I'm leaning towards the 1w Takman carbons, hmm..

Takman...have that one too but not in this DAC but rather other project. Will report once receive the outcome....BTW Dale is much better that the cheap 1% generic resistor that you can find anywhere, non-magnetic and pure copper leads...at leas in signal lines IMHO

I'm suprised at how many revisions/changes the manufacturers have done to this DAC kit since this thread was started.
My original DAC kit has the digital input socket and DAC chips mounted on the right side of the board, looking at it from the power supply section, and no switches on the chips.
Looks like they have eliminated some parts too on their later edition kits; in an effort to save money or make a more simple better sounding circuit?

Cheers All.

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
Really, McCrackers.

Cheers for that, I'll have a look at some :)

I'm looking at getting a bit more warmth but I don't want to sacrifice anything else:rolleyes: ATM Jean Michel Jarre sounds awesome...

I might have to do a fair bit of rolling with resistors to get what I'm after:D

Hafp, yeah...seen a few in this thread (mine is V6., I think) I wonder how much they differ is sound between them all, in there stock form:scratch2:

Last edited:
As far as audible improvements from using a pulse trafo, I cant see how it could improve anything except possibly better impedance matching. I still think less is more unless there is a real need.

As far as I'm not using a trafo on the output of the source (PC) I can just say WOW! Gone is the uninteresting boring digital sound. Mids are sweeter, highs cristalclear and bass very natural.
I guess the galvanic seperation and common mode noise cancellation are doing a good job on the RFI-noise coming out of the pc.
Now I enjoy listening for a longer time, interest stays. Especially with all those Christmassongs I keep enjoying them.

What's next?
I already ordered some jensen jt11p1 to replace the monacors, but better than this? And maybe later a uniface USB-to-SPDIF to make all jitter disappear!

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
Hmm...must look into a pulse transformer, the early revisions had a Sumlink for this, is this correct?

A mate of mine has those jt11 transformers and has good things to say about them, and the frequency response chart looks really good, should be a nice step up from the Monacors :)

Hi Gerard,
I'm glad to see that you're happy with the Lundahl. How did you end up installing it? Better still - any good clear pics?

Both my DACs are in pieces right now as I have been swapping parts so, while I'm at it, I might give the Lundahl another chance. Maybe this time results will be more conclusive.

@McCrackers:
Well I just made a very simple adapter with a cheap piece of coax-wire with connector and a piece of wire to a chassispart. This way I could do an AB-test. But No way I have to do this because it is so easy to hear the improvement. At the moment playing christmassongs as loud as I never did and even the family joins me on the couch!

Maybe in the holidays I can put everything together in the box, have to get over my hesitation to drill the holes...
It's now in a box of hifi2000 with the back open.

Hi All,

The attached shows how I have hooked up my Monacors to the small DAC.

Caps are WIMA FKP1
Resistors are Beyschlag MBB-SMA

I may one day try other transformers advised on this thread but in the meantime I feel I can choose better components but need advice.

All suggestions welcome.

Attachments

• Monacor.jpg
    Monacor.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 537
  • IMG_3588.JPG
    IMG_3588.JPG
    57.6 KB · Views: 543
  • IMG_3589.JPG
    IMG_3589.JPG
    97.8 KB · Views: 530
Hi Tony,

If your DAC-chip is CS4398 then you can savely remove all those caps and resistors. Less sourceresistance is less distortion, phasechange and better bass. The caps give a very strong phasechange in the treble that you can definitely hear. I'm very happy this way with the monacors. Just curious to find out what happens with better trafo's...

Gerard.

Hi Tony,

If your DAC-chip is CS4398 then you can savely remove all those caps and resistors. Less sourceresistance is less distortion, phasechange and better bass. The caps give a very strong phasechange in the treble that you can definitely hear. I'm very happy this way with the monacors. Just curious to find out what happens with better trafo's...

Gerard.

Hi Gerard,

The chip is a CS4397. ??