Experience with this DIY DAC ?

Atlplasma said:
Will this DAC support automatic input selection? I'd like to use it with USB on my computer and coax on my Oppo 980.

No - just the jumpers on the board to select input. I guess something could be done with relays and logic/PICs, but that knowledge does not reside between these two ears.

The jumper system used even makes it tricky to do manual mechancial switching, but I reckon it can be done with a 4-pole 3-way rotary switch.

Re: Extra digital inputs

shuggi67 said:
I have 3 components that I wish to attach to the DAC, is it possible to add extra female RCA's ??.

Thanks

I'm collecting parts to try a switching arrangement for two RCA inputs using a separate pulse transformer for each input. I think I will need to lift both trafo leads so a two pole switch is needed for that. If you used relays you could have as many as you want.

Just a single secondary winding is all that is needed for the digital section.

Hi,

Anyone looking for transformers in Australia, maybe try these, they come in around $40AUS.

http://www.harbuch.com.au

TRANSFORMER DATA SHEET
AT-204
With 600W Source and Load
AT-204 measured performance
Primary Impedance : 600W
Secondary Impedance : 600W
Turns Ratio : 1:1
Frequency Response : ± 0.2dB, 20Hz - 20kHz, RS=600W, RL=600W
Total Harmonic Distortion : <0.2dB, 30Hz - 20kHz @ +20dBm
Maximum Output Level : +24dBm
Insertion Loss : 1.1dB @ 1kHz
DC Resistance Primary : 39W
Secondary : 39W

I'm going be looking at adding these when the DAC's arrive.

EXCUSE ME change of subject ... The PLL

Hello !

I have this DAC (old version with CS8416 soldered on board)

I made many changes on this board but I don't find the PLL section to change the parts value .

if someone can send me a picture by email with PLL identification

I appreciate :)

thanks in advance !

nicK

Well, my UTC-A-20 transformers arrived having been held by UK Customs for over a fortnight! (Got them from "early-arrow" on the big web auction - brand new old stock).

I have wired them up in similar way to the Jensen recommendation to the 600in 600 out terminals. Thank you Mr Fuss!

The immediate difference in listening experience for my now aging ears is a slight softening / slowing of the leading edge of notes and the bonus is that the individual tones have more 'body/density than when connected chip to preamp with 600ohms+ a little capacitance across. More pleasant sound altogether....very musical indeed.

When they have settled in I will say more.

Thanks for all the help in this thread.:)

Re: EXCUSE ME change of subject ... The PLL

nickthevoice said:
Hello !

I made many changes on this board but I don't find the PLL section to change the parts value .

thanks in advance !

nicK

On the newer boards they are directly behind the digital input RCA jack. I pulled the jack for easier access to them. Yours should be similar to it, but maybe not.

Bill

brianco said:
Well, my UTC-A-20 transformers arrived having been held by UK Customs for over a fortnight! (Got them from "early-arrow" on the big web auction - brand new old stock).

I have wired them up in similar way to the Jensen recommendation to the 600in 600 out terminals. Thank you Mr Fuss!

The immediate difference in listening experience for my now aging ears is a slight softening / slowing of the leading edge of notes and the bonus is that the individual tones have more 'body/density than when connected chip to preamp with 600ohms+ a little capacitance across. More pleasant sound altogether....very musical indeed.

If they are NOS they should get better in a couple weeks too. I am going to have to find some A20s to compare with the several trafos I have now.

Best, Bill

Re: EXCUSE ME change of subject ... The PLL

nickthevoice said:
Hello !

thanks in advance !

nicK

I have several boards same like yours. I'll take some pictures and post it.

brianco said:

Where did you get the UTC a-20, Ive been trying to find a pairwith no luck same goes for the tamuras:(

Edcor 10k:15k

I just plugged in the Edcor 10k:15k, 15k load resistor on the secondary. No caps.

These are new. They haven't been broken in and the step up ratio is not the best idea.

The high end sparkle is missing. They sound compressed compared to the UTC A-20. They aren't horrible, like the 5532, but it sort of feels like some of the music is missing. I already miss my A-20s.

I'll let you know how they are after a couple of days.

I think the 600:600 Edcor might be a good idea. There's probably too much loss in the windings of the 10k:15k.

More transformer woes

Another question I'm trying to find out what the EDCO XSM600/600 Trannies have for there output max for Max dBm but the spec sheet does not rate it + can not get an answer from the manufacturer, does anyone know or is there supposed to be some formula to work it out yourself using the specs they do provide.
Below are the specs:
Product Specifications
Maximum Input: 2.5W
Input: 600 Ohms
Output: 600 Ohms
Turns Ratio: 1:1
Frequency Response: 20~20,000 Hz, <1dBu
THD+N @ 1KHz: <0.05%
Insertion Loss: 0.5 dB
Bobbin: Glass Filled Nylon 6/6
Flamibility Rate: Class B 130°
Core Type: M-6 29 ga. Grain Oriented Steel.
Termination: 0.187" (3/16") quick disconects
Mounting: Zine plated channel/frame
Unit Weight: 0.66 lbs.

Re: More transformer woes

shuggi67 said:
Another question I'm trying to find out what the EDCO XSM600/600 Trannies have for there output max for Max dBm but the spec sheet does not rate it + can not get an answer from the manufacturer, does anyone know or is there supposed to be some formula to work it out yourself using the specs they do provide.
Below are the specs:
Product Specifications
Maximum Input: 2.5W
Input: 600 Ohms
Output: 600 Ohms
Turns Ratio: 1:1
Frequency Response: 20~20,000 Hz, <1dBu
THD+N @ 1KHz: <0.05%
Insertion Loss: 0.5 dB
Bobbin: Glass Filled Nylon 6/6
Flamibility Rate: Class B 130°
Core Type: M-6 29 ga. Grain Oriented Steel.
Termination: 0.187" (3/16") quick disconects
Mounting: Zine plated channel/frame
Unit Weight: 0.66 lbs.

500 to 500 or 600 to 600 dioesn't matter.

By the weight and specs of the transformers described above, they should be correct.