Experience with this DIY DAC ?

I bought a pair of UTC A-43 transformers. These have a single 600 ohm (150 ohm split) primary and two 600 ohm (150 ohm split) secondaries.

What would be the best way of wiring the secondaries for single ended output? I could use one secondary and ignore the second, but would it be better to parallel the secondaries or do something else?

I don't need any voltage gain.

Can someone here assist me understanding the sequence of events that takes place between 3 sources please.
Setup:
CD transport, ps3, PC (does not matter) >>>External DIY DAC>>>>AV reciever/ AMP>>>speakers
Ok here is what I think happens.
CD player transfers the the Digital Signal in PCM format bypassing the CD players own DAC.
The external DIY DAC recognizes the signal as Digital currency and decodes the PCM to analogue then passes out through its analogue stage in to the receiver/amp.
The amp receives the signal in analogue format so bypasses/disregards its own DAC and passes the signal out its analogue stage to the speakers.

So am I correct that all the mods that are being done to the DIY DAC output stage , be it Op-amp, Tube, or tranni, is just really cleaning the Signal and probably boosting the signal?.
If so the most dramatic change to the characteristics of the sound will happen at the receiver/amp analogue output stage.
If I have this wrong please put me in my place, I have been looking in other threads but could not find anything to clear it up (just more of the same questions)

Thanks

That is pretty much correct except we are trying to preserve the original signal as it was recorded, not actually clean it up. The amount of information on a CD or whatever you are using for the source is pretty amazing, but every time the signal passes through any circuitry some information is lost, some is altered, and some is masked by noise. If your system is comprised of high quality analog equipment then the weakest link in the signal chain is always the analog section in your source. The digital section in an A/V receiver might have great specs, but that does not mean it will sound good, too many compromises.
That's my two cents.

Bill

I'll be waiting a little before I'm able to get trannies for this DAC. When it comes, will this DAC work with Poly caps in place of trannies for the time being?

My five cents:

Better use it in the beginning like you bought it.

And then switch to the trannies, and you will have an impressive experience, you will remember this moment many years later :D

Franz

Franz Gysi said:

My five cents:

Better use it in the beginning like you bought it.

And then switch to the trannies, and you will have an impressive experience, you will remember this moment many years later :D

Franz

You are right, it is a remarkable, almost shocking experience.
:hot:

A couple big caps with a 2k load might be fun to try but you should use a low pass filter of some kind for protection.

Bill

New DAC is born. Trannies are Monacor LTR110, ugly looking, but noble sounding. No difference I can hear in comparison to Sowters.

Attachments

• dac1.jpg
    dac1.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 1,274