Experience with this DIY DAC ?

on a different note, could i have fried any chips by pulling out the adapters before letting the caps fully discharge? out of curiosity i pulled off an op-amp and both the dac and the receiver boards to look at the back sides of them. i didn't test for it when i turned it on for the first time but now there's a hum from the dac...

CS43122 switches? RCA?

Just receive DIR9001 board, the sound is much better than CS8416.

I have a V10 board with DIR9001/ CS43122 but didn't get any documentation with it. Where should I set the two switches on the dac board for the various set ups? How do I enable the coax in? He only sent me one jumper so I have to solder the other one. I have the jumpers at SA and SB both set to 0 as is dictated on the board but only get a lock from the optical. I have a Behringer SRC2496 so I can try inputs from 44 to 96k with and without the on board upsampler.
How about my impromtu battery power and cap coupled direct out mod. I know the transformer guys are twisting at their terminals seeing this but I did a comparison of caps vs Jensen JT-11-FMCF with my AK4395 dac yesterday and I still like the caps better. I will let you know what I think about the trannies on the CS43122 when I get the settings sorted out.

Attachments

• Big Dac Board direct out.jpg
    Big Dac Board direct out.jpg
    194.4 KB · Views: 536
I have no idea how they handle input switching with the 9001, I asked someone here and they said it worked with the jumpers the same way as the 8416, but it can't.

Caps vs trafos, different strokes for different folks. I like the organic, fluid nature of the trafos. A big part of it probably depends on the rest of your system. I use Pass clone SE amps, but the preamp and all interconnects are balanced.

i am listening to my stock dac that just came in the mail today, and i must say, i am not impressed at all. in fact, I'm rather disappointed. i got the 1798+9001 version and feeding through the optical, there's a definite listening fatigue, skinny bass, and just not that musical as i expected. I wanna put the blame on the cheap Chinese transformer that came with it- it's tiny and it hums. it's also coupled with a digital filter that i remember reading that it's useless? please correct me if i'm wrong as i'm ready to gut it out. as for the listening fatigue, the top end is definitely screechy and doesn't slowly roll off as my previous lite dac 60 that my ears are used to. the imaging and the soundstage is very realistic, though, and there's loads of detail. these impressions are from using the stock op-amp NE5532. what should my next upgrade be in order to soften the top end against the listening fatigue? bigger tranny or 'dark' sounding op-amp? i'm tight on the budget so the output trafos will have to wait...

I preferred an R-core transformer to the toroidal.

For op-amps try LM4562 which work quite well. Or a combination of 2 x LT1028 for filter and 2 x OPA827 for buffer on adapters. These are available as samples from the manufacturers.

Trying for coax

I am trying for coax with SA and SB set to 0 as is printed on the board but it still only locks to the optical which isn't a huge problem but in my experience, coax usually sounds better although the gap has been narrowing in the past few years with better optical receiving circuits.
With the 24/88 input that sounds best with the DEQ, The CS43122 seems to sound best with both switches on. There is never any sound with switch 1 off so that narrows down the possible combinations.
Scott - for optical input use one jumper connecting SB and 1. The other SA and 0. There is a matrix diagram by the jumpers showing the various settings.

Here is the document you require for CS43122 hopefully:

LM-DAC3.doc

Might help.

I am trying for coax with SA and SB set to 0 as is printed on the board but it still only locks to the optical which isn't a huge problem but in my experience, coax usually sounds better although the gap has been narrowing in the past few years with better optical receiving circuits.
With the 24/88 input that sounds best with the DEQ, The CS43122 seems to sound best with both switches on. There is never any sound with switch 1 off so that narrows down the possible combinations.

I think there might be differences in the jumper setting between various generations of this DAC, very frustrating.

I know it sounds unlikely but have you tried just a single jumper in either position. SB-0 / SA-0

I have no idea how they handle input switching with the 9001, I asked someone here and they said it worked with the jumpers the same way as the 8416, but it can't.

Caps vs trafos, different strokes for different folks. I like the organic, fluid nature of the trafos. A big part of it probably depends on the rest of your system. I use Pass clone SE amps, but the preamp and all interconnects are balanced.

Bill, are you still using the Aikido? I'm starting a DCB1 pre-amp soon but would love to try the Aikido sometime in the future.

I built the Aikido with 6N1Ps. It's a very nice preamp but has a signature sound as all tube stuff does. If I didn't have the Pass P1.7 I would probably be trying to tweak it further but it just doesn't compare to the P1.7. The Pass is as close to a straight wire with gain that I have heard. I bet I would like the B1.

I think there might be differences in the jumper setting between various generations of this DAC, very frustrating.

I know it sounds unlikely but have you tried just a single jumper in either position. SB-0 / SA-0

The jumpers control the internal MUX of the 8416. How they could affect the input to the 9001 would have to involve magic. The 9001 has only one input pin, the 8416 has four.

You can easily change the opt input to coax if that's what you need.

I believe Twisted Pear has an external MUX you could use for input switching.

If someone has direct knowledge about the 9001 please speak up.

Last edited:
The jumpers control the internal MUX of the 8416. How they could affect the input to the 9001 would have to involve magic. The 9001 has only one input pin, the 8416 has four.

Ah, I see. I admit I haven't studied the DIR9001 and had considered trying it. This makes me think...

It's strange then that the receiver is locked to the optical input. Do you think Scott could swap the toslink receiver for an RCA socket in principle? If the 9001 has only one input then it's input pin must be connected only to the toslink circuit.

I'm sure there's more to it than that, some of the input components may need tweaking.

spoke to the designer of the dac, liu sheng, and he says the hum is most likely from the op-amp. they're the regular 5532 but one of them has different markings on it and has Philippine written on it. could this be the culprit? oh i forgot to mention that it's not only hum but also white noise from the tweeters.

Nope, no tweaking required. As you say, the opt input has to be hard wired to the lone input pin.

Look at the schematic closely. You will see each of the three inputs has some associated wiring, but if you wanted, you could duplicate any of the three and wire them to the 8416 input pins. You could even have a fourth input if you wired it directly to the 8416 daughter board. In essence, you could have 4 USBs, 4 opts, 4 coax, or any combination you like. The input pins are identical in function. The jumpers just choose which input pin is enabled, they have no bearing on the actual input wiring.

I hope that's as clear as mud, you know I get ahead of myself sometimes.

spoke to the designer of the dac, liu sheng, and he says the hum is most likely from the op-amp. they're the regular 5532 but one of them has different markings on it and has Philippine written on it. could this be the culprit? oh i forgot to mention that it's not only hum but also white noise from the tweeters.

Ditch the 5532's, get something better.

In the meantime, one of the op-amp mods is to bypass the buffer amp entirely (the outer op-amp is the buffer)

Take the signal from the output pins of the inner filter op-amp pins 1 + 7. Pin 1 to left RCA socket and pin 7 to right RCA socket. If you want to keep the output relay in the circuit attach the connections to the points marked 'A' and 'B' where two resistors sit right by the relay diode - remove the resistors and tap in to the holes.

You should swap the amps around to find the faulty culprit (unless you know already)

Virtually all opamps are manufactured in the far east, that's not the problem. Replacing them can't be any easier, go for it.

Nope, no tweaking required. As you say, the opt input has to be hard wired to the lone input pin.

Look at the schematic closely. You will see each of the three inputs has some associated wiring, but if you wanted, you could duplicate any of the three and wire them to the 8416 input pins. You could even have a fourth input if you wired it directly to the 8416 daughter board. In essence, you could have 4 USBs, 4 opts, 4 coax, or any combination you like. The input pins are identical in function. The jumpers just choose which input pin is enabled, they have no bearing on the actual input wiring.

I hope that's as clear as mud, you know I get ahead of myself sometimes.

Yes, I see what you mean Bill.

In that case both coax and opt can be wired to the same input pin providing only one is in use at any time.

What do you imagine would happen if both inputs are sending signal to the receiver pin simultaneously (theoretically)?

What I mean is would it just combine the music or actually overload the chip?

Last edited:
One jumper

He only sent me one jumper so I will have to scrounge up another one in order to get rid of the wire which is currently soldered from SB to 0.

Up sampler sounds great/ noisey

The dac sounds amazing with the upsampler.:)
The upsampler is causing a low level whistle.:(
There is also an unusual amount of hiss in the output even without the upsampling board installed which is a little worse at a 24 bit lock than with 20 or 16. Still, even with the as yet less than optimum implementation, the transparency and fine detail are amazing with the cap direct out of the DIR9001/ CS43122. I am going to order the other two dac boards and receiver board just for fun.