Experience with this DIY DAC ?

I'm thinking about building a Burr-Brown based DAC very similar to the one I built with the CS4398 that I showed in this thread a while ago. It would use the same power supply sections, and also use a pair of Lundahl transformers. In fact it will look almost identical, but use a DIR9001, SRC4192, and a PCM1794. I figure that is the closest comparison I can make. I'll be using LL1674 transformers instead of the LL1690's that I used for the CS4398 DAC chip.

Sheldon

Don't forget ,some top DAC use PCM 1794: Ayon,Audiomat Maestro Reference ., Yamamoto and certainly some others(please mame it if you know). Was able to listen crazyfrog chinese DAC with PCM1798 in my own system and believe me my 2000$DAC was not in the game at all. PCM 1794/98 is the way to go for cheap($) and top notch DAC

You must keep us informed of your progress. I would love to see a direct comparison between the 4398 and a current out chip. From what I have read, getting the I/V conversion right with trafos is very difficult and time consuming. I'm sure you have made a good decision by trusting the trafo manufacturer's recommendations. Compared to them we are all just a bunch of hackers.
Yes I will and hope that others that does this does the same.

I assume that when not using the opamps that´s under the adapter board I have to solder a lead from input to output of the opamp,is there any pictures of this,I could find out from the schema but pics would be nice..:)

Yes I will and hope that others that does this does the same.

I assume that when not using the opamps that´s under the adapter board I have to solder a lead from input to output of the opamp,is there any pictures of this,I could find out from the schema but pics would be nice..:)

Isn't that picture:
181363d1279897837-experience-diy-dac-daughter-pcb.jpg
clear enaugh?

Don't forget ,some top DAC use PCM 1794: Ayon,Audiomat Maestro Reference ., Yamamoto and certainly some others(please mame it if you know). Was able to listen crazyfrog chinese DAC with PCM1798 in my own system and believe me my 2000$DAC was not in the game at all. PCM 1794/98 is the way to go for cheap($) and top notch DAC

What trafos were used?

Would the LL1674 be a good choice for the PCM1798?

Definitely give the filter a go. They do reduce RFI, but they can also distort the mains waveform due to the undefined impedance of the mains, so for audio purposes they may do more harm than good.

If you are interested in technobabble, take a look here ....

Acoustica

There's a section on mains issues with some interesting info.

Last edited:
Definitely give the filter a go. They do reduce RFI, but they can also distort the mains waveform due to the undefined impedance of the mains, so for audio purposes they may do more harm than good.

Acoustica

What a nice web site. Interesting, lot of good things.

Acoustica

After reading all the stuff on mains problems I have concluded that all my gear is crap and I'm selling everything and buying an Ipod and some ear buds.:spin::D

Thanks for the explanation and link.
Usually I prefer skipping the technobabble but I'll take a look anyway.
It's hard to A/B this as by the time I've disconnected/connected everything my aging ears have pretty much forgotten the subtle(if any) differences.

:spin::spin::spin:

Now that I went and removed it I would like an explanation as to how an EMI filter was supposed to make my DAC sound worse.:deer:

It should not, particularly if you have well designed power supplies and regulation stages. In fact it will make your equipment less prone to being upset by other bad apples on the same powerline. Remember, many people pay thousands of dollars for the same corcom filter in a fancy box with outlets.

Measurements will set you free, if you make changes without the ability to see what you've done, you are wondering around in the dark. Everything you hear is directly related to a measurement, which measurement and how to correlate the measurements to what you hear is the art in this.